Coolant Service for my Camry Hybrid problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Coolant Service for my Camry Hybrid problem

Hi,
I just changed my coolant for the gasoline engine and the hybrid inverter. The guides on this site worked perfectly (thank you!) and I used my Techstream to run the inverter pump during the fill up.
However, I have a weird problem. I can hear a swooshing/water noise right in front of me (drivers side of the engine compartment) when I accelerate from a stop. I don't know what is going on!
Looking up on this forum, apparently there is no bleeder valves and I did run the pump while filling up the inverter. Should I try taking off the coolant cap again over the inverter and run the pump again?

Thank you!

Old 04-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Coolant Service for my Camry Hybrid problem

Yeah, but you did not go alll the way through Georgi's instructions and bled the system, by putting engine into service mode. You have air bubble somewhere in it, and bet you it's in heater core.
BLEED THE SYSTEM

Old 04-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks I will do that. I went into diagnostic/Maint mode but didn't leave it on long enough? In addition to leaving the heater on high anything else to do?thanks paul

Old 04-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Btw this is what i do to get to "fwd Maint mode"

Perform procedures within 60 seconds. (lots of time in other words)
(1) Turn the power switch on IG. (This means press the start switch twice to get the dash to light up while NOT pushing the brake pedal).

(2) Now push the brake pedal with your left foot, and fully depress the accelerator pedal with your right foot, twice with the shift P position.

Note: Pushing the brake pedal in these procedure is just to allow the ability to move the shift lever from P to N and back to P

(3) Fully depress the accelerator pedal twice with the shift N position.
(4) Fully depress the accelerator pedal twice with the shift P position.

The message "FWD Maintenance Mode" should be displayed on the multi-information display.

(5) Start the engine by pressing the power switch while depressing the brake pedal.

The multi-information display should alternate between "FWD Maintenance Mode" and "Check VSC" and a couple of other lights will be on.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

That noise might be something as simple as your air filter cover being loose and you are hearing bypass air being pulled into the gap. If it is a coolant sound, double check the coolant level in the engine and make sure the engine is warmed up and that the heater core has a good coolant flow (the car can get very warm during this.....).

Once you eliminate the engine from the list, check the coolant level on the hybrid inverter system and bleed it again by running in maintenance mode (without the engine running) until the air bubble sounds are completely gone. If that doesn't stop the noise, you have another issue that will need to be looked into.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the help everyone!
It was strange, it took about half an hour of highway driving with the heater on high for the coolant to drain from the reservoir to the radiator. When I got back home, the reservoir was completely empty. I filled it up with more coolant along with the radiator. I ran the "fwd maint mode" again with the heater on high. There is no more water noise anymore.
I saved about $200 doing the engine coolant, inverter coolant, and transaxle fluid ($97 total in parts/fluid)
This site is the best! Thanks!!!

Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Glad we could help out. The problem you encountered is one of the main reasons I invested in a vacuum fill for my cooling systems. It is not real bad with the engine in the Camry but some of the GM cars can be a bear to bleed.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

FORDS. Fords are nightmare to bleed. Large cars. But yes, it was simple guess. Good job, buddy.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I own FORDs, they're not difficult to bleed unless you don't know what you're doing. I own a GM (silhouette) and that has screwed-up cooling system due to dex-cool fiasco.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks everyone! This forum is great.

From this point on, should I be doing a drain/fill of the coolant every 100,000 miles because it is still the Toyota Super Long Life Coolant? In addition, how long/many miles should I also be doing the drain/fill of the transaxle ATF since I also just changed it?

Quick Reply: Coolant Service for my Camry Hybrid problem

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands