COSTCO refuses install of Mich. A/S on TCH

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: COSTCO refuses install of Mich. A/S on TCH

I ended up going with oe tires (michilen) on the recommendation of the dealer. Another tire rep I spoke with advised against the new energy saver in the snow.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

stick with OEM recommendation, otherwise take a loaded revolver and spin the chamber and pull the trigger.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
stick with OEM recommendation, otherwise take a loaded revolver and spin the chamber and pull the trigger.
Don't you think this is just A BIT of an exaggeration?

Last edited by jbollt; 01-28-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

I have been running these tires for the past 15,000 miles. There are so many wrong statements here that it's scary...

You will have a better/worse ride with these tires: As a general rule, the higher the speed rating the stiffer the tire will be with a corresponding increase in the harshness of the ride.

The speed rating is below the OEM tire and is unsafe: The "H" speed rating for continuous running is more than the top speed of the TCH. This is NOT a problem.

Costo and some other tire stores will not install them: No problem. They are run by bean counters and lawyers who barely know where the gas goes into the car....

They are not good in the snow: No crap, neither are any other "non-snow" dedicated tires (including both of the OEM tires). They are certainly not any worse than the OEM tires.

And the "loaded gun" comment???? You can't be serious with that comment, if you are, I would lay odds to you being a democrat and believe that the government is here to help you.....

Old 01-31-2010, 08:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

just returned from a 2700 mile trip from the kc area to las wages on the energy savers AS.. they ran great - if you followed the weather this week you know the south west got thumped. we ran on a ice/snow covered roads for most of the trip - handling was great.. traction was no problem.. I had the tire installer put 38 lbs of nitrogen in them and we averaged 39 mpg for the trip at an average speed of 72 mph... and the avg temp was in the 20's..

SAM's and Costco have the same tire policy -- fine One of the largest tire installers in the midwest had no issue with the speed rating. These cars are not meant to push the limits of anything.. We buy these cars because we are smart savy customers.. not hot rodders - buy the SE if you want that just my 2 cents let the snipping begin..

Old 02-04-2010, 05:34 AM
Enthusiast

My Discount Tire shop installed the Energy Savers on my 2007 TCH.

On the receipt there was a note that said in effect: "Your tire has a different rating than the OE tires. This may lead to differences in performance and/or handling"

I think that's a reasonable way of handling the situation.