De-badging could put emergency personnel in danger!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default De-badging could put emergency personnel in danger!

Thought I'd post this info, since it was something I hadn't thought about until my nephew, who's an EMT, 'splained it to me.

He just finished taking a little course that was offered by Toyota, that explained to emergency personnel all about hybrids and how differently they have to handle 'routine' things like using the jaws of life to extract people from their cars at accident sites.

My nephew explained that, with the Prius, it's obvious that it's a hybrid -- because ALL Prius's are hybrids -- but that, with the Camry, the EMT's rely on the badges to tell hybrids from non-hybrids. Now, since it's possible to get electrocuted if you use the jaws of life on a hybrid without disabling the electrical system first, it's pretty important for those emergency guys to be able to tell at first glance whether or not they are dealing with a hybrid. So I thought I'd pass this info along . . . for those of you who want to remove those HYBRID badges from the fenders and back panel, and who now might think twice about doing so.

The life you save could be your own, and your EMT's!

Old 08-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: De-badging could put emergency personnel in danger!

Originally Posted by Khabita
Thought I'd post this info, since it was something I hadn't thought about until my nephew, who's an EMT, 'splained it to me.

He just finished taking a little course that was offered by Toyota, that explained to emergency personnel all about hybrids and how differently they have to handle 'routine' things like using the jaws of life to extract people from their cars at accident sites.

My nephew explained that, with the Prius, it's obvious that it's a hybrid -- because ALL Prius's are hybrids -- but that, with the Camry, the EMT's rely on the badges to tell hybrids from non-hybrids. Now, since it's possible to get electrocuted if you use the jaws of life on a hybrid without disabling the electrical system first, it's pretty important for those emergency guys to be able to tell at first glance whether or not they are dealing with a hybrid. So I thought I'd pass this info along . . . for those of you who want to remove those HYBRID badges from the fenders and back panel, and who now might think twice about doing so.

The life you save could be your own, and your EMT's!
Yes this is true and they will find out who SUE is and its not their girlfriend lol!

Old 08-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

As a long time emergency responder and as the owner of one of those obvious Prius hybrids, I never thought much about this. But you raise a valid point. To leave the badge on the vehicle should provide responders a small additional margin of error by instantly identifying it as a hybrid.

On the other hand, well-trained responders will be prepared anyway, and should be safe if they implement normal and routine safety practices at an extrication scene. Though this statement is technically correct ...
Originally Posted by Khabita
Now, since it's possible to get electrocuted if you use the jaws of life on a hybrid without disabling the electrical system first
... "disabling" the system involves either simply powering it off or disconnecting the 12V battery, and should always be done anyway before cutting on any car, hybrid or not, to help prevent things like air bag deployment during extrication (which I've seen). Furthermore, the risk of cutting into the orange HV cable is remote; it isn't routed through the car where they are likely to cut -- i.e., in and around the passenger compartment. Finally, their training should include knowing what that cable is when they see it, regardless of whether they recognize the car as a hybrid initially.

The vehicle itself provides an added safety feature: The HV battery relays automatically open (i.e., shut off current flow) in the event of a crash sufficient to activate the supplemental restraint system.

See Toyota's Emergency Response Guide for the Camry Hybrid for more.

Thanks for raising the issue.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Consumer reports and CNN had articles claiming that hybrids were more dangerous, but those articles were removed because they are not in fact any more than a regular car
There is more energy from the extra battery, but the disabling of those batteries is the same as in a normal car, so if an emergency responder correctly responded to a normal car, the danger is the same

Old 08-28-2007, 07:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids may not be more dangerous. However, your approach to "disable" the Hybrid systems is very different from that of a conventional vehicle. Notice that all of the LP/ CNG vehicles (truck/ buses) are clearly labeled as well.

A firefighter starts to "size up" the scene upon approach. If you debadge your hybrid, you are increasing the safety hazard for yourself AND your rescuers.

Please leave the badges on!!

Old 08-29-2007, 04:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Any lawyers in the crowd here? Is it possible for an EMT, or their company/organization, to sue the hybrid owner, when they got zapped, because the owner deliberately "disguised" the hybrid, and placed EMT personnel in danger, by removing the badges?

Old 08-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by abward
Any lawyers in the crowd here? Is it possible for an EMT, or their company/organization, to sue the hybrid owner, when they got zapped, because the owner deliberately "disguised" the hybrid, and placed EMT personnel in danger, by removing the badges?
Yes!!!!! Falls under the same CAT as the guy that takes the plastic shield off his power takeoff shaft and get wrapped up in it and looses life or a limb.

Last edited by skywagon; 08-29-2007 at 09:46 AM. Reason: add more
Old 08-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast

There could, of course, be litigation – whether there would be a finding of liability, however, is another matter dependant on a great number of factors.
I suspect that, if EMTs following “normal and routine safety practices” would either not encounter the high voltage components or would not need to employ material changes to such practices in the presence of high voltage components, it would be difficult to establish liability, especially in the absence of statutes prohibiting the removal of hybrid badges.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Let me be clear on this first... I am NOT an emergency responder. However, as Jimbok said:

The vehicle itself provides an added safety feature: The HV battery relays automatically open (i.e., shut off current flow) in the event of a crash sufficient to activate the supplemental restraint system.

In the highly unlikely event that the relays didn't open AND the car was positioned in such a way that simply cutting off a door or roof panel would not be adequate, I do think the heavily armored, bright orange cables running under the car in a place where no other car has a cable, MIGHT be an indication.

Also, if my Prius or TCH took a hit hard enough to require the Jaws of life, there would be odd colored fluid and strange looking pieces spread from hell to breakfast at the scene.

As for the lawyers, who are they going to go after in a case like this? Joe Average who removed a fancy sticker and has $30,000 in savings? Or Toyota, the company whose advertised safety system failed to cut off power in the event of a moderate to heavy collision, and is worth several billion dollars? Geee... hmm.... that's a tough one. I'll have to give it some thought.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

As a 33 year career firefighter, I am more concerned with the gas charged cylinders for side curtain airbags that could discharge with violent force if cut, or certain volvos that are not even marked as having them, hood rods that can go thru your leg when involved in fire and airbags that are still active for several minutes after a crash. The hybrid electrical system is relativly safe compared to those!