Dead bugs plastered on the car...

Old 09-20-2006, 12:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Dead bugs plastered on the car...

I just took my beautiful car to the car wash today to have it washed mostly because our trip to Vermont resulted in a lot of dead bugs plastered to the front end. I am very disappointed to say that after my $15.99 "Super Wash" there are still a lot of bugs plastered to the front end. Too bad I didn't notice until I got back into my driveway (and no, I could not possibly have gotten this many dead bugs on my car between the car wash & here since it's not that far and I never exceeded 35mph between there and here-- so less really bug-grinding impact speeds).

My husband suggests that we wash it ourselves in our driveway, which I am not thrilled to do because our driveway is formerly gravel, now mostly dirt and grass. (Paving the driveway took a back seat to putting a new roof on the house this spring.) However, I don't want to drive my pretty Jasper Pearl car around with the remains of hundreds of insects dotting it's front like pock marks.

What do you all find to be the best products for removing dead bugs without harming the finish?

Also, this sort of ticks me off, because I paid for exterior protectant (yeah, I know waste of money, yada yada yada) and I expected these little dead bugs to just fall right off...

Old 09-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dead bugs plastered on the car...

A clay bar will do it.

Check out this thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...highlight=wash

Old 09-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

There are products specifically designed to remove bugs and tar:
Bug Remover
Bug Remover

Old 09-20-2006, 01:03 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by Lilarienne
What do you all find to be the best products for removing dead bugs without harming the finish?
I use RAIN-X Bug & Tar Removal pre-wash gel. It does a great job. It just came out this summer. It is available in most auto supply stores.

And if you know you are going into a bug heavy area, you can use their Protective spray 1st which makes removing them later easy to do. It really works.

I also spray the protective spray on the body just behind each of the wheels and it really makes removing tar stains very easy.

Here is a link to a review:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/fr/rain-x.htm

Old 09-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast

they are probably the hardest thing to get off after tar. But - if you take a roll of paper towels - your kitchen variety - and lay them across the front end and lightly sprinkle with a hose(or spray bottle) until the paper towels are soaked - then do something for about 10 minutes - wash the windows, dust the dash, check the tire pressure, oil, etc - then remove the paper towels - those little dead and hardened critters will mostly pull up with the towels, and the rest you can just kind of wipe off with the wet towels at that point. Works great and relatively inexpensive. NO harm to the finish and easy on the pocketbook.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RX8Daniel
they are probably the hardest thing to get off after tar. But - if you take a roll of paper towels - your kitchen variety - and lay them across the front end and lightly sprinkle with a hose(or spray bottle) until the paper towels are soaked - then do something for about 10 minutes - wash the windows, dust the dash, check the tire pressure, oil, etc - then remove the paper towels - those little dead and hardened critters will mostly pull up with the towels, and the rest you can just kind of wipe off with the wet towels at that point. Works great and relatively inexpensive. NO harm to the finish and easy on the pocketbook.
Now this I might just try before I go out in search of some of the other suggested products! Thanks

Old 09-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RX8Daniel
That is a great suggestion. I have used that trick on dried bird droppings too when I don't have time or don't want to wash the entire car. All that organic stuff should be cleaned off as soon as possible or it will eventually damage the paint.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Keep in mind that all those bugs plastered on your front end can effect your Cd and bring down your mileage.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had the same problem until I saw a previous post about Maguiar's Mist & Shine Quick Detailer. Bought it yesterday. It WORKS!! No I don't work for the company but I do like it when products do what they say they'll do. Also why I bought a Toyota.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There is a product called Tarmintor which you can get at WalMart for $3.99, or at auto part stores for $5.99. This product takes off everything... tar, tree sap, bugs, etc. But it's very strong so use it sparingly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dead bugs plastered on the car...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands