Democrats DON'T READ THIS

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 04:53 AM
WVGasGuy
Default Democrats DON'T READ THIS

Matty! I don't think we need to turn this site into a political carnival. MHO

Just don't say I didn't warn you. I decided to start a seperate thread on this so that no one unsuspectingly read this without a warning. If you hate republicans, George Bush, the war on terrorist, conservatives or cheap people stop reading now and push the back button.

For those of you who just can't do that, well you'll prove my point that liberals WANT to turn things into political carnivals.

Discussing politics usually doesn't turn into a political carnival until democrats (I didn't say liberals) don't like what they hear and want to push their adgenda.
Personally I like to hear all views and this forum (IMHO) should be a good place to posts those views as long as they are related to the ownership or interest in a hybrid.

I am a republican. I didn't buy my car to be green , but I have no opposition to owning a car that also contributes to keeping God's creation more pure. I bought the TCH for an even more politically current (correct?) reason. THE WAR! (OMG_more politics). I want as little of my American $'s going to Terrorist supporting countries as I can. That means instead of the Vette I actually was looking at 3 months before I went to the TCH I factored in what I wanted and what I needed and made an emotional, choice. You know what, I'm also cheap and saving $$$'s has really gotten me "into" this hybrid process. I enjoy seeing 39+ mpg on most all of my tanks. lastly as an engineer I enjoy the modern technology. Giving up sports cars and sport sedans was a big change for me. It was a tough step and without the war I probably would not have made that decision.

PS: I also purchase BP gasoline as from what I can find they purchase little or no middle east oil.
Just consider this a republican backing up their belief at a personal cost of a changed lifestyle.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:11 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Democrats DON'T READ THIS

I'm a Democrat, but I had to read your thread anyway!

I, too, like polluting less, but the MAIN reason I bought the TCH was to reduce the amount of funding I am providing to America's enemies. Same reason I try to avoid things made in China. I also stopped buying Citgo gas, because that funds Hugo Chavez.

This country has to stop trading its long-term security for temporary conveniences!

Old 09-19-2006, 06:26 AM
WVGasGuy

I'm a Democrat, but I had to read your thread anyway

I knew you would. Perhaps we're not that far apart.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:31 AM
Enthusiast

funny thread. my wife was giving me grief about getting a hybrid due to the cost...but at one point she "got it" and said she didn't care how much the payment was...to get the hybrid so i could point my middle finger at those oil producing terrorist nations.

anyone know where i can get a finger license frame ?

Old 09-19-2006, 06:40 AM
Ohio BIODZL Driver

We all know there is more than one reason to drive a hybrid, alternatively powered vehicle or an economy car. I'm glad to hear the occasional Republican not afraid to offer up his reasoning ... and more please to not seeing his political opposition jumping all over him. For whatever reasoning one makes better choices ... we all benefit.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:49 AM
WVGasGuy

my wife was giving me grief about getting a hybrid due to the cost

I wish that all the states had the tax credit WV had when I bought mine. The WV credit expired June 5th but I was fortunate enough to get mine first. I'm not sure I would have "made the deal" without it, but looking back it would have been the right decision reguardless of tax credits.

It sure has been fun arguing with those who say it's not a good economical decision. I explain that my payment went down $200. I went from 16 mpg to 39 mpg and am now using regular instead of premium, saving $300 mo, I save $9/mo in insurance, long term I won't be replacing tires every 20,000 miles at $1200 a wack AND I get a $2600 Fed Tax Credit and a $3750 West Virginia Tax Credit. Call me crazy but what's the down side of that financially.

The reply I usually get is what about the batteries, what will they cost. Get over it, I could throw this car away at 100,000 miles if they go bad and still have a better deal than with what I usually drive. My last Expedition depreciated $14,000 in just a year and a half. I can't lose more than $24,000 on this in three years and that's if it's worth nothing. I'm guessing it will be worth at least $13,000 to $15,000 with the high miles I expect it to have but will still be a great car. I keep it in the garage, maintain it regualary and keep it clean. Someone will really want this car. Hopefully I'll be in a financial situation that I can give it to someone I have in mind that could use a car about that time.After ownership of 37 cars thsi is by far the best automobile financial ownership decision I've made and surprizingly enough I'm extreemly happy with it. I didn't look any more forward to going out in my 350Z, Audi TT, INfiniti FX or the 2 300ZX's I had than I do with the TCH. It may take a techno-nerd to be able to enjoy this experience, but hey, if that's what I am then as Popeye would say "I Yam what I Yam."

Old 09-19-2006, 06:51 AM
WVGasGuy

I'm glad to hear the occasional Republican not afraid to offer up his reasoning ... and more please to not seeing his political opposition jumping all over him. For whatever reasoning one makes better choices ... we all benefit.

Ouch

Old 09-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy

I am a republican. I didn't buy my car to be green , but I have no opposition to owning a car that also contributes to keeping God's creation more pure. I bought the TCH for an even more politically current (correct?) reason. THE WAR! (OMG_more politics). I want as little of my American $'s going to Terrorist supporting countries as I can.
That's one of the main reasons, if not the primary reason, that I conserve fuel to the best of my abilties as well.

PS: I also purchase BP gasoline as from what I can find they purchase little or no middle east oil.
I don't have any BP stations in my area, but I tend to buy from Shell stations (sometimes at a few cents extra cost than my alternatives) because, to the best of my knowledge, they also get most of their oil from non-middle eastern sources. I avoid Citgo (which tends to be one of the cheap alternatives) because I take issue with the politics of Hugo Chavez.

And I'm a registered democrat! It seems to me that there is a lot more middle ground (barring the fringe of either wing) than is portrayed by politicians or in the media. It's a shame that politics is treated like a sport in this country, making that middle ground so difficult to find.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Vegetarian

Just consider this a republican backing up their belief at a personal cost of a changed lifestyle.
I wish more people saw it the way you do, I hate seeing huge trucks with support our troops ribbons, or freedom isn't free stickers on them. Do they not know what hypocrites they are?

Old 09-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast

My wife and I are republicans who bought our Prius for many of the reasons stated already in this post: frugality, oil independence, environmental responsibility, etc. We want to be good stewards of the earth, but we don't really buy into the doomsday scenarios presented by democrats such as Al Gore. Plus, other issues factor more strongly into our voting decisions than do environmental issues.

Since our first child is due soon, we had several people tell us that we should buy a SUV because we would need the space. We decided, however, that we could make the essentials fit into the Prius, and save money and use much less gas as well. I just hope they have released the hybrid Sienna by the time we have our 2nd child!

FWIW, we also recycle all of our trash that we can, and energy efficiency will be a major decision factor when we buy or build our next home.

Quick Reply: Democrats DON'T READ THIS

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands