Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Did your dealer allow changes to port installed options? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/did-your-dealer-allow-changes-port-installed-options-9696/)

PlainCipher 09-01-2006 01:58 PM

Did your dealer allow changes to port installed options?

I preorder my TCH like most people and knew about what kind of car I was getting ahead of time. However, there were port installed options (e.g. security system, remote start, spoiler) that I did not want for my car and my dealer claimed they couldn't make any changes to those options even though the car was still on a ship in the Pacific ocean and none of these options were actually installed yet.

Was this the same across the board for all dealers or did some dealers let you modify the port installed options for pre-orders?

Does anybody know if these port installed options were picked by the dealer or random choosen by Toyota?

kluken 09-01-2006 02:01 PM

Re: Did your dealer allow changes to port installed options?

Originally Posted by PlainCipher
I preorder my TCH like most people and knew about what kind of car I was getting ahead of time. However, there were port installed options (e.g. security system, remote start, spoiler) that I did not want for my car and my dealer claimed they couldn't make any changes to those options even though the car was still on a ship in the Pacific ocean and none of these options were actually installed yet.

Was this the same across the board for all dealers or did some dealers let you modify the port installed options for pre-orders?

Does anybody know if these port installed options were picked by the dealer or random choosen by Toyota?

Depending on where the car is in the process port optins can be changed. My dealer customized my car to my options that I wanted and deleted options I did not want. They have to get the chanegs made before the car arrives in port. My dealer actually brought up the system in front of me and we customized the car then he printed it off for me. What PORT are you dealing with and where are you located?

PlainCipher 09-01-2006 02:28 PM

This was with Toyota of Kirkland in the Seattle area and I think the import port is Portland.

dalerb 09-01-2006 02:34 PM

My dealer (Toyota of Hollywood) also offered to add/delete any port installed options I did/didn't want. It's a source of a little extra profit for the dealership, so I can understand why they might not want to delete items, but I doubt it's true that it's impossible to delete them.

WVGasGuy 09-01-2006 03:30 PM

I understand the Toyota SE Area adds a lot of extras and I don't know why at the cost of irritating their customers but the mark up on options can't be so much that they couldn't just quit doing it without losing a significant amount of money. I'm glad to see your area doesn't mind changing these options.

In my area they don't add these options at all. I'm still amazed about the whole port issue anyway not realizing such an operation went on for foreign cars. It seems like an ineffecent way to install these items. Looks like the factory would install them theirselves if they thought Americans would put up with it.

kluken 09-01-2006 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
I understand the Toyota SE Area adds a lot of extras and I don't know why at the cost of irritating their customers but the mark up on options can't be so much that they couldn't just quit doing it without losing a significant amount of money. I'm glad to see your area doesn't mind changing these options.

In my area they don't add these options at all. I'm still amazed about the whole port issue anyway not realizing such an operation went on for foreign cars. It seems like an ineffecent way to install these items. Looks like the factory would install them theirselves if they thought Americans would put up with it.

If I recall SE Toyota and Gulf States Toyota are not Toyota owned, they are the only 2 distributors I beleive that are not company owned. SE Toyota is a bunch of thieves, they pad the cars with all sorts of crap whihc forces dealers to sell them to meet quota. They also charge much more for the options. Port leather is $1450 and I beleive factory is only liek $1000 or $1200 and aftermarket is less than port leather. I screwed up and took port leather this time and it is crap. Next time it is factory leather or Katskin.

tumbler 09-01-2006 04:33 PM

Ladies, if it is not within the MSRP federally required sticker, it is elective, optional, discretional, non-mandatory, deletable, discriminatory etc., etc. Toyota of Knoxville and Airport Toyota would like for you to think otherwise. Why then does Fox Toyita not have a single car on their site with these so-called port installed options? Let's see, Knoxville and airport Toyota have a roughly 1700$ add-on sticker and $500 for doc fees. Fox Toyota has no add-ons and a 60$ doc fee. Gee, let me think of where i should buy my TCH.

WVGasGuy 09-01-2006 06:26 PM

I screwed up and took port leather this time and it is crap. Next time it is factory leather or Katskin.

Does the port leather include heated seats? (Not that you would need them in the SE area)

WVGasGuy 09-01-2006 06:33 PM

if it is not within the MSRP federally required sticker, it is elective, optional, discretional, non-mandatory, deletable, discriminatory etc., etc

I believe the only elective part of that is you can elect not to buy it. There is nothing to stop a dealer from doubling the prices if the market will bear it. When I first heard of the "add ons" I thought everyone was talking about the extra sticker for "market adjustments" I saw on PT cruisers and now on the Ford Cobra. That's pure supply and demand markup. At least with what I'm seeing most people pay for is a physical option (reguardless if they want it or not) and at least they have something to show for it.

I sort of like the 18" TRD wheels many of you got, but I would just as soon had the original wheels for winter use and purchased the aftermarket wheels seperately (probably at the same cost as only getting the 18's).

By the way, does anyone know what happens to all the stuff taken off. There should be a bunch of 17" wheel / tire combo's for sale somewhere. So far on ebay all I've seen is hardchemists tire/wheels sold. (They went higher than I would have thought, especially without the tpms).

KC Rusty 09-02-2006 08:31 AM

I have a really basic question .. Where do they print the window stickers? It listed the dealers name and address and I can't believe these are printed in Japan. I believe the port added options are installed and the sticker is printed.