Disabling TRAC and VSC temporarily on Camry Hybrid

Old 12-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default Disabling TRAC and VSC temporarily on Camry Hybrid

For those of us that want to disable TRAC (Traction Control) and VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) for a while, the following simple procedure will do it for sure on the TCH, unlike the other procedures on the net that I have seen:

Perform procedures within 60 seconds. (lots of time in other words)
(1) Turn the power switch on IG. (This means press the start switch twice to get the dash to light up while NOT pushing the brake pedal).

(2) Now push the brake pedal with your left foot, and fully depress the accelerator pedal with your right foot, twice with the shift P position.

Note: Pushing the brake pedal in these procedure is just to allow the ability to move the shift lever from P to N and back to P

(3) Fully depress the accelerator pedal twice with the shift N position.
(4) Fully depress the accelerator pedal twice with the shift P position.

The message "FWD Maintenance Mode" should be displayed on the multi-information display.

(5) Start the engine by pressing the power switch while depressing the brake pedal.

The multi-information display should alternate between "FWD Maintenance Mode" and "Check VSC" and a couple of other lights will be on.

Next time you shutdown, the system will be back to normal.
This does not shut the ABS system for braking.

This can be useful when you want to go up a hill and TRAC will prevent the car from moving like I know people have experienced including my self, even with good snow tires...

Also, please spare me the safety warnings that have been discussed on other threads. This turns off safety items that have been built into the car, but does not make it worse than a regular vehicle. Use your good judgment.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3809667970_08ba54d2f9_b.jpg (83.1 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by fthebault; 12-15-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Disabling TRAC and VSC temporarily on Camry Hybrid

Thank you, thank you.

This will be going on a post card laminated and kept in the glove box for those occasions when it's needed.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Or your could simply remove the gas cap temporarily without refueling, a CEL will result, and the TC/VSC systems will be disabled until the CEL clears or is cleared.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by wwest
Or your could simply remove the gas cap temporarily without refueling, a CEL will result, and the TC/VSC systems will be disabled until the CEL clears or is cleared.
The CEL will disable TC/VSC?? Why would they set up the system this way?

Old 12-16-2009, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by fthebault
...This can be useful when you want to go up a hill and TRAC will prevent the car from moving...
I've been stuck on a steep driveway with the wheels spinning in the snow. Is this what you're referring to?

Old 12-16-2009, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
I've been stuck on a steep driveway with the wheels spinning in the snow. Is this what you're referring to?
In particular, it addresses the problem where you are stuck in the snow or ice, and the wheels refuse to turn at all because the system decides that they have too little traction to bother. Following this process will enable the wheels to spin, so that someone that knows what they're doing will be able to get unstuck.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sooty
Thank you, thank you.

This will be going on a post card laminated and kept in the glove box for those occasions when it's needed.
Likewise! I could have used this a couple of days ago. Fortunately, with lots (and I mean lots!) of patience I was able to rock my way out. You have to apply just enough power to the wheel to make it start to turn, but not so much that it wants to spin and triggers the TRAC - not easy.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:39 AM

...and when you reboot (oops!...restart) the car, it goes back to normal, right?

Old 12-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Disabling TRAC and VSC temporarily on Camry Hybrid

You are awesome! THANK YOU.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast

Yes Haroldo, once you shutdown, the next time you restart by rebooting you will get a blue screen! Just kidding...
Things are back to normal just like before without codes to deal with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disabling TRAC and VSC temporarily on Camry Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands