Disappointed in Blower Power

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 06:57 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Disappointed in Blower Power

I didn't really notice it in the summer time with the A/C, but
now that I've been using the heat on these cold northeast mornings,
I find the blower motor lacks power that every other car I have driven seems to have.

It's not "bad", but seems to be at the bear minimum of acceptability to me.

I've tried it in all modes and with ECO off.

I'm curious if anyone else feels the same.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:09 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons
Default Re: Disappointed in Blower Power

I'd have it checked if I were you - mine will almost blow my hat off! Okay - not really blow my hat off but it moves a bunch of air and is actually quite loud about it too!

Old 11-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Mine seems pretty powerful. Make sure the auto mode isn't set to blowing on your feet, it did that to me once

Old 11-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mine very powerful, not noticeably diff from the A/C. Should be using the exact same fans.....

Old 11-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Very powerful and I have to bypass the auto to keep the blower low...

Old 01-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

Please forgive my made-up terminology below.

Mine is definitely low when it is in the "bi-level" (head & feet) mode.

If it put it on "upper" (head only) mode, I do get a lot more/acceptable movement, but not anything I would call powerful.

I contrast this with my Honda Pilot, which I drove yesterday. On high fan, the Pilot REALLY puts out some airflow. Additionally, it doesn't matter whether I have it on bi-level or upper. In any case, it's great.

So my further questions to all of you:

1. Is the upper airflow much higher if you keep it on "head only" or is it always the same?

2. I know many of you have a Honda Pilot. Can you give me your perspective relative to the Pilot?

Maybe I'll just go for a test drive on a new TCH and try it

Old 01-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't think HVAC performance is necessarily due to how "powerful" the blower is. What is meant by power? Air velocity, pressure, volume?

Take a blower, and put a small vent on it. It might feel more powerful, but it is actually putting out less air volume.

A good HVAC system will maintain a comfortable temperature without you feeling "the breeze".

I found that my TCH did very well this summer (100 degree days) without feeling cold air being blown on me. My previous car (1995 Chevy Impala SS) will really *blow* cold air, but it struggles to keep the car cool.

Do you find that the car struggles to keep the inside warm?

Old 01-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by n8kwx
I don't think HVAC performance is necessarily due to how "powerful" the blower is. What is meant by power? Air velocity, pressure, volume?

Take a blower, and put a small vent on it. It might feel more powerful, but it is actually putting out less air volume.

A good HVAC system will maintain a comfortable temperature without you feeling "the breeze".

I found that my TCH did very well this summer (100 degree days) without feeling cold air being blown on me. My previous car (1995 Chevy Impala SS) will really *blow* cold air, but it struggles to keep the car cool.

Do you find that the car struggles to keep the inside warm?
On really cold mornings when the ambient temperature of the entire interior has not yet normalized, it's nice to have the hot air blowing on you. After the car warms up, sure, I can turn down the fan.

I'm speaking about the speed and volume of the air coming out of the front upper vents.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:02 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Disappointed in Blower Power

I feel the same way as I turn on the heater to deal with Canadian Winter - this time, it has been late, but has come back with a vengeance. In my view, it takes longer than expected. Perhaps, do you need to push up the temperature - I set it to 24 degrees celcius initially. My morning ride takes about 15 minutes. It takes anywhere between 5 to ten minutes to reach comfortable level of heating. I do not set it to auto (it's too noisy), but set it to 3 or 4 bars.