Does TCH with NAV tell you how hard to brake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 06:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Does TCH with NAV tell you how hard to brake?

I have a TCH without the NAV system, so I have the watered down version of the display that shows energy transfer. I know that if coasting I'm strictly using the regen braking system and all the energy is going to recharge the batteries (assuming that they're not at the their max charge level). I also know that if braking hard I'm using the regular mechanical brakes and wasting energy to friction and heat. The ideal way to slow down would be to press the brake pedal hard enough to get maximum deceleration without using the hydraulic breaks.

Does the energy display on the TCH with NAV systems show enough info to do this? For instance, does it show when you're fully using regen braking and when the hydraulic brakes kick in?

Old 07-05-2006, 07:57 AM
WVGasGuy
Default Re: Does TCH with NAV tell you how hard to brake?

No the screen does not show that. There are some other links here and on Edmunds to read though.

My understanding is that the hydraulics really don't kick in until the computer tells them to. If it senses a reactionary brake slam I believe it may kick them in immediately but for normal light to heavier resistance braking it's still the regen working down to a certain speed where the link said that the motor turns too slowly to accomplish significant regin and the hydraulics take over (6 or 12 mph?)

Old 07-05-2006, 04:56 PM

Hehehe... I thought this thread title was a joke at first...

Imagine your Nav system talking to you like this:

"(Apply Brakes) Harder, Harder, HARDER - now softer, WAIT! Harder...."

Mind now exiting the gutter...

Old 07-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hahaha. I envisioned the Nav system more like a real person. "At the next light, turn left. No no, wait, I meant right. Crap. Get over real quick. Stop! There's a car over there! OK... wait... go! Go! Oh shoot, it was a left. Sorry! Don't yell at me! You should have been paying attention yourself!" Hopefully AI won't make our computers THAT human-like. LOL.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:41 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Funniest NAV I heard was when I went cottaging with a group of other guys. The driver had a PDA based NAV that had a perfect Star Wars Yoda voice. It would announce directions in classic Yoda grammer too... "Right you must turn, Around you must go, Arrived you have". So after a while one of the guys got a little annoyed with it and his come back was "Off, you must f***". He did a good impression at the time too.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by ginway
Hahaha. I envisioned the Nav system more like a real person. "At the next light, turn left. No no, wait, I meant right. Crap. Get over real quick. Stop! There's a car over there! OK... wait... go! Go! Oh shoot, it was a left. Sorry! Don't yell at me! You should have been paying attention yourself!" Hopefully AI won't make our computers THAT human-like. LOL.
{grin}
Here you go, gang! A little video just like what you describe...
(Warning: Not safe for work... a little "colorful language".)