Does your cabin air filter look like this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Does your cabin air filter look like this?

A few weeks ago, I removed my cabin air filter to clean. I notice the water stain on it (the dark gray/black on the filter). Does yours look like this too?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Does your cabin air filter look like this?

Some people have had water get into the filter if they left the vent on while going through a car wash. I will try to pull mine and look later.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Mine looks a bit dirty, I change it once a year, depends how dusty the roads you drive on are. One time in my Sienna the air actually smelled, in it looked worse then that. Only got that dirty once.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

So, 30k miles later, I decided to replace the cabin air filter. I have been taking it out and "cleaning it" using a compressed air can. Anyways, I did notice that it was dark, but isn't that due to the activated charcoal?

Anyways I picked up a new cabin air filter from the Toyota parts ($30). I took a look at it and it was not the same. It was no longer activated charcoal. The parts guy said it is now electrostatic. Kinda sucked I think since activated charcoal also removes odor (right?).

Anyways, I ended up returning the cabin air filter to look for one with activated charcoal. Bosch's website recommended P3502 Cabin Air Filter, but no auto parts store around here (Redmond, WA) carries it.

What cabin air filters have you replaced yours with? What are your thoughts on the newer electrostatic ones vs the original activated charcoal?

Old 06-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Enthusiast

Hm... is that a recent change?

My drive into town goes by the dump. Used to be I didn't smell it, but the last couple of months...

Any pointers on where to get an activated carbon one?

Old 06-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WMConey
Hm... is that a recent change?

My drive into town goes by the dump. Used to be I didn't smell it, but the last couple of months...

Any pointers on where to get an activated carbon one?
The Toyota parts guy said the original ones (activated charcoal) have been discontinued. If anyone knows who makes an activated charcoal, please share!

Old 06-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Some people have had water get into the filter if they left the vent on while going through a car wash. I will try to pull mine and look later.
If its not to much trouble, how do you get to it to take a look?

Old 06-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by Geckoboy
If anyone knows who makes an activated charcoal, please share!
Find an activated charcoal filter that you like, that is not thicker than the slot in the car. Cut a piece the size that you want. Wrap some duck tape around the edges. Viola!

They sell various kinds of air filters a Lowes and Home Depot. One of them might do the trick.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Acco20,

There is a return limiter on the right side of the glove box that is visible when open. Gently remove it to the right away from the glove box where is pushed over a plastic stud. Empty everything from the glove box (unless you want it on the floorboards).

Either pull on the center section at the back to deform the rear of the glove box (and pull the sides to the middle) or grasp the rear sides of the glove box, pull to the center and disengage the stops on each side of the glove box. This will allow it to swing down to gain access to the filter.

Remove the filter cover that is exposed and remove the filter. Reverse to install. Bosch has a very good cabin filter install guide on their website that covers most cars on the road. Download a copy of it for future vehicles that you need to change.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:20 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm not sure that there ever was an activated charcoal layer in the cabin air filter. The Manual doesn't say anything about there being one. There is a polyester electret layer to remove small particles. See page BE-49 in the attached. An activated charcoal layer would be effective against cabin odors. Perhaps the intention is that the Plasmacluster device will help remove odors? See pages BE-55->56.

Stan

Attached Files

Quick Reply: Does your cabin air filter look like this?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands