ECO A/C Mode impact on MPG

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: ECO A/C Mode impact on MPG

I like it in an obscure place out of the way b/c I don't ever intend to touch the button again.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

I was driving thru Atlanta yesterday and temp on the thermometer was 102. Air on ECO mode nice and cool with tank average above 42 mpg. No sweat!!

Old 07-21-2006, 04:21 AM
Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm in agreement with you. I run with the AC on all the time and I just leave it on the ECO mode. I find that the car cools down rather quickly.

Old 07-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Well I got my TCH Titanium yesterday and the AC is awesome, I have never had a car wih such strong AC. I have not really run in ECO much as it does seeem to take much , longer to cool the cabin. I will get my tinting Monday and hen my try ECO mode. Thisis the first car I actuall have to turn down the AC otherwise it freezes me out.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

As a technician at an independent shop I have driven all makes and models and Toyotas always seem to have the coldest A/C, no matter what model.

Last edited by Kermie; 07-25-2006 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kahlon
I like it in an obscure place out of the way b/c I don't ever intend to touch the button again.
Generally this is true, but if you (or a passenger) adjust the temperature to HI or LO the ECO automatically turns off.

I HATE that they placed the ECO button next to the fuel door button - it should be part of the climate control system since that's what it controls. But more importantly I feel that the fuel door button should be inactive if the car is moving or out of Park.

I still haven't been able to find an absolutely definitive explanation for what the ECO button does and why it deactivates when the temp is moved to HI or LO.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:37 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

OmegaOmega — Have a look at pages AC-27 to 30 of the attached file from the TCH Repair Manual for a description of precisely what the ECO button does.

Stan

Attached Files
Old 09-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by kahlon
Unless you need the de-humdifier, or aim the air the the defroster vents while cycling through the options of discharge points, or turn it to LO or any of the other things you can do to override the ECO mode. I wish the ECO would automaticly turn back on when it gets back into a setting it will work in. Just remember if it was on, put it back on, if it was offf, leave it off. I don't know why it is not smart enough to remember.

Because of that I hate that the switch is hidden. I am obsessive compulsive about being sure it is on, and I hate a hot car. I have found th when driving in direct sun, I set the temp to 75 and auto and if not in direct sun, I set it to 78. it keeps the car plenty cool. I bought an automatic climate control system so it can do it's job. No sense trying to do the job for it.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
OmegaOmega — Have a look at pages AC-27 to 30 of the attached file from the TCH Repair Manual for a description of precisely what the ECO button does.

Stan
I wonder how many people are aware of this little piece of information regarding ECO mode.
Page AC-28 of the attached PDF file.

"During cooling under ECO mode control, the
cabin temperature is maintained at 25°C (77°F)
even if the set temperature is below 25°C (77°F).
Since the power consumption of the electric
inverter compressor is limited under ECO mode
control, this does not indicate a malfunction. To
decrease the cabin temperature to below 25°C
(77°F), the MAX COLD temperature (18°C (64.4°F))
must be selected or ECO mode control must be
canceled by turning the ECO switch OFF."

Old 09-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sooty
I wonder how many people are aware of this little piece of information regarding ECO mode.
Page AC-28 of the attached PDF file.

"During cooling under ECO mode control, the
cabin temperature is maintained at 25°C (77°F)
even if the set temperature is below 25°C (77°F).
Since the power consumption of the electric
inverter compressor is limited under ECO mode
control, this does not indicate a malfunction. To
decrease the cabin temperature to below 25°C
(77°F), the MAX COLD temperature (18°C (64.4°F))
must be selected or ECO mode control must be
canceled by turning the ECO switch OFF."
I read that, and thought, "there must be some mistake" because I use eco mode all the time and if my car gets anywhere near 77 degrees, it is much to warm for my liking. I have gotten into a 90 plus degree car and in a matter of a very few minutes, am driving at a very comfortable temp,. If it is not below 77 degrees I will stand corrected, but I don't think so. I set the left and right temp. to 73 or74 and just let it do it's thing. The air coming out of the outlets seems very cold, and the fan speed slows down rather quickly. By the way....If I feel a little to cool, I will raise the temp. to 75 and the fan speed will lower, and the temp. will raise eventually. Does this mean it went up to 78? Not being argumentitive, just my thoughts.

Quick Reply: ECO A/C Mode impact on MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands