ECO A/C Mode impact on MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Re: ECO A/C Mode impact on MPG

Originally Posted by SPL
OmegaOmega — Have a look at pages AC-27 to 30 of the attached file from the TCH Repair Manual for a description of precisely what the ECO button does.

Stan
Stan - Thank you for the attachment... it answered a number of questions... and created a few more; some I'm hoping you can answer...

The diagram shows the basic design of a neural network controller that interprets multiple inputs/sources of heat to help the system determine the true ambient and/or desired temperature setting input by the user. Is this something that exists in all 2007 Camry Hybrids? If so, is this proprietary to the Camry line or at least the Camry Hybrids? Or is this a standard auto a/c system?

With the Ion air cleaner; does this require any maintenance? If so, is it automatically performed by the dealership when you take it in? I have to clean my home ion purifiers about every 3 months - but I see no maintenance/care information listed in the standard manual or in your PDF you attached.

Also (and this is more speculative), since the ionizer is only in one vent, is it prudent to have cabin air always set to recycled vs. outside air? This way you would avoid bringing in air through other vents that cannot charge the ions... Or - above all else - is the ionizer simply there as a 'gimmick' and remains too small to truly be effective at charging enough ions to filter the cabin air?

Old 09-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ECO A/C Mode impact on MPG

I believe the ions will fill the cabin air so as long as the driver's vent is not closed, you'll be fine. It doesn't filter at the vent itself.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by acco20
I read that, and thought, "there must be some mistake" because I use eco mode all the time and if my car gets anywhere near 77 degrees, it is much to warm for my liking. I have gotten into a 90 plus degree car and in a matter of a very few minutes, am driving at a very comfortable temp,. If it is not below 77 degrees I will stand corrected, but I don't think so. I set the left and right temp. to 73 or74 and just let it do it's thing. The air coming out of the outlets seems very cold, and the fan speed slows down rather quickly. By the way....If I feel a little to cool, I will raise the temp. to 75 and the fan speed will lower, and the temp. will raise eventually. Does this mean it went up to 78? Not being argumentitive, just my thoughts.

I've noticed the same thing. It makes me wonder if my ECO mode is actually doing anything. I have not noticed a real difference in cooling capability (or heating) regardless of whether it's off or on. I still turn it on mind you....

Later!

Dang

Old 09-05-2007, 07:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

My interpretation of the 77 degree limit, based on page AC-30, is that at 77 degrees and above the compressor will run at nearly full effort (C2 in the figure) to lower the temperature to the setting (no matter what the setting is, except for MAX COLD which stops ECO mode) , but when the temperature is less than 77 degrees the compressor output is radically reduced so that in conditions bright sun or high outdoor temperature the cabin temperature might not reach the desired setting.

In any case this is an incredibly sophisticated system! Come Winter we can discuss how clever the heating system is and the effect of the ECO switch in the cold.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:28 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Well, since you ask, here are my thoughts.
  • I think that the temperature you feel depends on both the actual air temperature and on the air flow velocity past your skin — the "coldness" you feel is determined by the rate of heat removal from your skin, which depends on both these parameters. I suspect that it just seems warmer when the fan speed drops, but that the actual air temperature may be the same. The simplest way to find out is to use a thermometer at the vent to measure it!
  • I think that all the current Camrys that have the dual-zone climate control system use the same neural-network controller. I can't speak about whether other manufacturers also use neural-network controllers, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.
  • The PlasmaCluster system needs no maintenance. It's not like a normal electrostatic air cleaner. The latter charges the air molecules (usually negatively). They then stick to particulates and other large molecules in the air and so precipitate them onto the metal collector nearby, which then has to be cleaned periodically. They also spew a net (negative) charge into the room, and may also generate some ozone. The PlasmaCluster generates both positive and negative ions in equal amounts, so that the emitted air is neutral, and essentially no ozone. There isn't any significant precipitation of dirt on the driver's-side vent, in my 1-year's experience. (I also haven't been aware of any smells, or of the associated "noises" that they tell you about.) It seems to work effectively and innocuously.
  • As long as the driver's-side vent is open, the system should work whenever the ventilation fan is "on."
  • I think that page AC-30 shows that the cooling effort ("C2") expended in ECO mode is greatest when the cabin temperature is highest ("T2" is well above 25 degrees C, I think), and progressively reduces A/C power consumption as the cabin temperature drops. When the cabin temperature is 25 degrees C or below ("T1" on the graph), the A/C is at its lowest power consumption ("C1") when ECO is "on." If you request a lower temperature than 25 degrees C, you won't get it with ECO "on." At least, that's how I interpret it.
Stan

Last edited by SPL; 09-05-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:29 AM
Dazed and Confused

On my way to work this morning, i put a termometer int eh ac vent.

I had the co switch on the whole time.

Temp was set to 70, and the discharge air was 60 when moving, and 65 at a stop light.

Then I changed the temp to 75, and the discharge temp was 65 while moving and 75 at a stop light.

Then set the temp to 76, and the discharge temp varied between 70 and 75 while driving.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
  • When the cabin temperature is 25 degrees C or below ("T1" on the graph), the A/C is at its lowest power consumption ("C1") when ECO is "on." If you request a lower temperature than 25 degrees C, you won't get it with ECO "on." At least, that's how I interpret it.
Stan

But you might get it if the outdoor temperature or sun load is low enough. Basically ECO will run the AC at reasonably high power to get the temperature down to T2 (so you don't burn up in the heat) but slacks off for lower temps so you might not get them.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

But it is important to know what the outdoor temperature was. If it were 100 degrees, you probably wouldn't have gotten that discharge temp at least after the temperature stablized. However if it were 80 degrees it probably would. In my case this morning, the heater ran and I would have had no problem maintaining a 60 degree discharge temp with the AC off.

Originally Posted by ag4ever
On my way to work this morning, i put a termometer int eh ac vent.

I had the co switch on the whole time.

Temp was set to 70, and the discharge air was 60 when moving, and 65 at a stop light.

Then I changed the temp to 75, and the discharge temp was 65 while moving and 75 at a stop light.

Then set the temp to 76, and the discharge temp varied between 70 and 75 while driving.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:36 AM

I put a dial temp gauge in the center vent about 2 weeks ago to see what the AC temps are doing. I don't care for the fan noise, so I usually don't have it set for auto. The past week has been a cooker with temps running around 97 to 100F on my drive home. I've been running the AC set to 78F with ECO on. I found the vent temp dropped to 40F for about 10 minutes, then slowly went up to around 55F as the cabin cooled down (with the fan set for 4 bars.) Nice!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:19 AM
SPL

talmy — I buy that! The maximum power used by the A/C is more limited in ECO mode; but, if the outside temperature (plus heat load caused by sun on the windows) is not too high, you might indeed be able to get below 25 degrees C even with ECO mode on.

Stan

Quick Reply: ECO A/C Mode impact on MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands