Electronic Power Steering - kaput! and a question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:18 PM
mwh
Enthusiast
Angry Re: Electronic Power Steering - kaput! and a question

Looks like I am having the same problem now with my 2008 camry hybrid.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Electronic Power Steering - kaput! and a question

I think it was the early '07 Japanese models that had the steering problem, usually when the car was stopped. Check for a recall on your vin number. Your salesman or service department should be able to look it up for you.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-04-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

My wife has an 07 TCH, (made in Japan), we didn't have to do anything, Toyota just sent us a notice that we needed to have the steering unit replaced and it was done at their cost, (one day in shop).

Old 07-04-2009, 01:29 PM

It's the steering rack they replace. It contains the electric power part of the steering. I read it was something to do with to tight of tolerance in the Japanese made racks. You should be fine with the replacement.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-04-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just had mine replaced again with the Toyota Steering Link recall. I was noticing a slight crunching when turning slightly in a parking space or similar situations.. Steering link change corrected that. The recall took care of the rest of it.. Also got a free four wheel alignment as part of the steering recall.. I am again a happy TCH owner with 51,000 miles on my 2007 TCH. Lifetime economy is 36.2mpg.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:02 AM
Enthusiast

I had my ESP replaced in January right after I received my recall notice. Yesterday driving 40 miles per hour, slowing down to turn, my power steering went.
Obviously the ESP changes did not work. They told me this is a computer problem.
My question is: Does anyone know if there is a quality assurance group in Toyota that I connect with. My concern is that I was lucky that there was no other car in the opposite lane as I made my turn, I did not have 5 kids in the car like I was supposed to, was on a rulral road versus the Penn turnpike as I was supposed to. I think there is a bigger isssue her than that one recall.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:25 AM

I don't remember any steering racks going out other than in a parking lot or pulling in or backing out of the home driveway. You did say turn, so my guess was you were going slow at the time it happened.

You can call the same toyota dealer or use another.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:27 AM
Enthusiast

2007 Camry Hybrid working just fine. Drove to grocery. Came out with groceries. Power Steering not functioning. I strong armed it to dealer where he reported that the PS computer had failed. Naturally, I'm out of warranty. He added that A.) They had not seen this failure before and B.) The Toyota rep said that I probably hit a curb and damaged a relay. I have sold relays for >30 years and although it is technically possible that they can become damaged by jarring, it is highly unlikely in this situation. It would be just as easy to break glass positioned under two matresses with a hammer blow. In addition, I did not hit anything, curb or otherwise and never have with that car. $1100 later I drove away grumbling. I had been a defender of Toyota even during the recent bad recall times. We have 3. We are starting to rethink our position.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 PM

You might try calling the Toyota customer service located in California. (use google to get the phone #) I'm not sure if they can help, but something as rare as this. You could pay for a dealer printout of your cars alignment to prove you had not hit any curbs to cause this problem.

Other than that your last go, would be to call the owner of the dealership and tell him your feelings about buying another Toyota. He has the authority to help you on your bill or explain why he might not.

The last time I heard of any electronic steering problems, was some that had steering racks that went bad, very similar to yours, while driving slow when backing out. Those were replaced for free due to a toyota TSB.

It would be interesting to ask the service manager, how they determined the trouble was not the steering rack, but some electronic control module connected to the steering. I thought the electronic steering control was also included in the main ECU.

Last edited by rburt07; 01-10-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast

Dear Douglas, I haven't read all the posts but this happened to my 2007 Camry Hybrid also and when I got it in to the Service Department the manager told me that there was a recall on this issue and replaced everything for free. They even asked if I wanted a car to drive since it would take a few days to get the parts in and replace everything. If you want I will try and find the paperwork and email it to you.

Greg Holeman

Quick Reply: Electronic Power Steering - kaput! and a question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands