Engine block heater installation instructions

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine block heater installation instructions

I finally got around to buying and installing one.

I couldn't get the sensor (1) off and I mangled the clip (2) but the clamp (3) came off without any effort. I ended up just hanging it upside down. Getting the block into the hole was also a hassle. I couldn't get it to snap. I wonder if the silicon goop is for heat transfer or for easy insertion. Anyway, I ended up using about 2/3 because I removed the block since it wouldn't snap.

I turned it on for 30 minutes and according to the ScanGauge, the water temperature went from 62 F to 96 F with ambient temperatures around 65 F.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I used the whole small bag of thermal grease. It's mainly for heat transfer but also is slick to aid in installing the block heater. Mine stopped half way in so I used a screwdriver and a small rubber hammer to tap it on in. After a few taps I could easily push it on in with my hand. I used a towel to wipe away any excess.

The snap should be turned toward the firewall. It snapped onto the side of the bock. I think that's another time I used the screwdriver and rubber hammer.

Sounds to me like your block heater working ok. You will find it really helps during the cold winter months.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

A question for everyone who has installed an engine block heater. Where do you have the plug? I've heard of some having it out the grill in from and others having it up near the wipers. Just wondering where would be the best place especially for us in the northeast during winter with all the snow. Rick

Old 07-06-2009, 01:48 PM

I brought mine out behind and above the drivers side headlight. I laid the plug across an just in front of the radiator support rail.

It's a hassle to open the hood to connect it then disconnect it when leaving. Although I don't have to bend over and it does make it easier to glance at the liquid levels to see if they are ok.

I use a heavy duty 50 foot extension cord running up to the covered deck next to the kitchen. I bought a remote 110 volt switch from Home Depot. I keep the remote on the kitchen table. When we want to go somewhere, I flip the block heater on a hour or so early. The outside unit has a red light when it's on. This way I can see though the window when I turn it off. I forget the price, but the money is well spent as it will last for a very long time.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-06-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the clear instructions. Everything went together as it should have. I routed the wire to the left side of the engine compartment, pass the left headlight and through the radiator support, having it exit the lower grill just to the left of the license plate. This allows me to tuck the plug away behind the grill and license plate during summer months and not have it flop around. I used a lot of wire ties and some plastic wire loom to keep the cord away from sharp corners in the engine compartment. The heating element went in with a little help from a long 1/2" drive extension and a rubber hammer. I was able to slighly twist the heating element once in place to get the clip pointing at 3 o'clock towards the fire wall. Having put in numberous block heaters, this one was no more difficult, nor any easier. I was greatful not to have to drain the radiator.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Enthusiast

This is for the Corolla owners who DON'T have a Hybrid but found this forum on a search to find out where the *&^%*$ block heater hole is in their, stock Corollas. Mine is a 2000 with only 60K. Bought it last year from a nice lady who only drove it in the summer for groceries etc. Yup, they exist, this beauty is MINT.

I live up north and needed a block heater.

The problem I had was looking for it from the driver side of the engine, what would have been called the BACK of the engine, pre front wheel drive days. That's the Tranny side, the side you can only see if you take out the air breather assembly, as is shown in this thread.

The problem is, you can't see the hole on standard Corollas because there's a solid pipe, exactly blocking your view and it's only a few inches away. No matter how much you crane your neck and curse, you can't see it.

You need to hang over the passenger side fender and look to the tranny end, at the back of the engine. Imagine if you could sit in front of the firewall and look toward the engine, at the left side.

You won't see the hole because it IS facing the driver's fender but what you WILL see is the small, stub that shows where the clip goes. That's your clue. Feel down in there and you'll find the hole. There's JUST enough room ahead of the hole to wiggle the block heater in. DON'T try this with the cord attached. Once the heater is in, the cord connects easily.

I applied lots of the supplied grease to the heater cylinder and I also stuffed some into the hole. The heater assembly snapped into place with some effort and this is good, it won't easily fall out. I used gloves for this as this allows you to apply lots of force without denting your fingers.

Pictures below show the red, plug socket as it looks when installed. Note the clip, that's the thing to look for. The stub that the clip goes on to.

Good luck to all Corolla owners like me who really appreciates the effort made here.

The first picture is the view with the air cleaner assy removed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0004.jpg (105.8 KB, 739 views)

Last edited by AndyW; 11-19-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Enthusiast

And here's the view from when you hang over the passenger fender, looking from the top and down, toward the driver's fender. You can see the black clip and the red plug attached to the heater.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0005 (2).jpg (119.7 KB, 937 views)
Old 11-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast

What mileage gains have you all seen after installing the block heater?

I'm considering installing one in my '07 but I'm not sure about it...

Old 12-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

I installed a block heater several months back. This morning the outside temp was 8 degrees (Colorado) and the Scan Gauge indicated 70 degrees on start up after 5 hours plugged in. Not good -- guess I'll have to leave it plugged in over night to get a descent temp. Temps been below 20 degrees that last couple of days and I can't get over 30 mpg! Then after sitting at work where you have no way to plug in, the TCH starts out at the outside air temp – a 9 mile commute is not enough to get good efficiency when cold. Same trip when the temp is in the 70 - 80 degree range will average around 37 mpgs both ways.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:19 PM

Now that it's getting colder today I checked my scan gauge at start-up. It read 67 degrees with the outside temperature at 30 degrees. That's only 37 degrees difference where your new block heater was 62 degrees difference.

My thoughts are that I have pulled the plug out twice from forgetting to undo the extension cord. No doubt I have some resistant wiring that needs to be cut out with a new replacement plug.

I'm also using a 60 foot heavy duty extension cord to supply power to the block heater. That may also be resistive to the approx 500 watt block heater.

I will try trimming off a few inches of block heater wire and the new plug and will see if that helps.

8 degrees, that sure sounds cold.

Quick Reply: Engine block heater installation instructions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands