Engine Metallic Banging Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Engine Metallic Banging Noise

I started the 08 TCH yesterday and when the ICE fired up it sounded like the time I spun a bearing in a 68 Mopar 383 resulting in a bent rod. The metallic banging was none too cool. It only lasted for 3-4 seconds but definitely got my attention.

I have read about this issue on the Prius forum where if you move the car and only run it for a few seconds, the next time you start the car this issue can occur. I did move the car in my driveway the day before and the ICE was operational only for a few seconds. I use full synthetic oil so I'm hoping that the damage is minimal.

If anyone knows of a solution to this issue please sound off.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine Metallic Banging Noise

sorry, i am still thinking in the categories of conventional engines. if what you describe as a "bug" for those cars, maybe a low oil pressure in lifters, resulting in lobe gap?
not a good example, but my 00 Silverado bangs on all 8 for about 10 seconds during cold starts. it's a known GM engine piston slap. the only cure for it is to remove engine block, rebore and reset pistons. and yes, all my cars run on Amsoil, that's as synthetic as it goes.

say a prayer, start her again, and hope it goes away. otherwise, metal clunk is no good ever. sorry....

Old 12-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dg370
I have read about this issue on the Prius forum where if you move the car and only run it for a few seconds, the next time you start the car this issue can occur. I did move the car in my driveway the day before and the ICE was operational only for a few seconds. I use full synthetic oil so I'm hoping that the damage is minimal.
During my Volvo days we got a tech bulletin on this issue. We called it "Lawnmower Syndrome". Because the people who complained about it, all started their cars for just a few seconds to back out of the garage or car port... to get the lawn mower out. Then on restart, the engine would do what you described.

I do not remember the science behind it, something about unburned HC causing a foul restart... that and the lifters were dry. In any event, we told customers not to do that. Should let it warm up a bit, at least 30 seconds or so, if dead cold.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

That's good advice. If it hurts don't do it. I will let it run for a few minutes to make sure that it's not left in this funky state again.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Update.

I forgot that the cause of this problem is running the ICE for very short periods of time and shutting it down. This weekend we thawed out so I took the oppurtunity to wash the car. I started it and moved the car in the driveway to wash it. The ICE was only operational for a few seconds before I shut it down.

I shot the video in the attached link so you can hear the engine noise on restart the following morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRY7eHgOJTc

FYI
I use genuine Toyota filters from the dealer and synthetic oil.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:15 PM

Now that I heard it, it sounds like cheap, bad gas or some water in the gas. It sounds like all 4 cylinders are causing the noise at start-up. Even after it starts, sounds like it's barely running due to poor compression and ignition caused by bad gas. I had a similar problem with a rather new 2006 Ford when I tried using walmart gas.

A common fix is by adding a bottle of Techron gas additive from your local walmart of auto parts store.

Try using a different gas station, add the bottle of techron then fill the tank.

Be sure to find a gas station listed in this top tier list below. Look for, How do I improved my mileage, click on top tier gas.

If you think it's a oil pressure problem, take it to the dealer and let them see what the actual oil pressure is after sitting overnight.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

I appreciate your comments. This event has happened to me twice now. The interval between events was a little greater than one month. I purchase top tier gasoline from different stations. Mileage for the type of driving I am currently doing is normal as well as performance. I use Techron Concentrate Plus (the best type) usually twice a year. I use it prior to an oil change as the cleaning process will contaminate the oil.

Misfire codes would probably be stored for gasoline related issues causing this type of noise. No codes.

Let's perform an experiment, please try the following and report back.

1- From a cold start (engine off for more than 6 hours) start the car and let the ICE run for 10-20 seconds.
2- Shut down the car while the ICE is still running.
3- Don't start the car until the next morning.
4- Report your findings. Do you hear any unusual engine noise?

Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by dg370
I appreciate your comments. This event has happened to me twice now. The interval between events was a little greater than one month. I purchase top tier gasoline from different stations. Mileage for the type of driving I am currently doing is normal as well as performance. I use Techron Concentrate Plus (the best type) usually twice a year. I use it prior to an oil change as the cleaning process will contaminate the oil.

Misfire codes would probably be stored for gasoline related issues causing this type of noise. No codes.

Let's perform an experiment, please try the following and report back.

1- From a cold start (engine off for more than 6 hours) start the car and let the ICE run for 10-20 seconds.
2- Shut down the car while the ICE is still running.
3- Don't start the car until the next morning.
4- Report your findings. Do you hear any unusual engine noise?
Ok, I tried this last night/this morning with our 09 TCH. No abnormal engine noise.

Last edited by jbollt; 02-02-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by rburt07
Now that I heard it, it sounds like cheap, bad gas or some water in the gas. It sounds like all 4 cylinders are causing the noise at start-up. Even after it starts, sounds like it's barely running due to poor compression and ignition caused by bad gas. I had a similar problem with a rather new 2006 Ford when I tried using walmart gas.

A common fix is by adding a bottle of Techron gas additive from your local walmart of auto parts store.

Try using a different gas station, add the bottle of techron then fill the tank.

Be sure to find a gas station listed in this top tier list below. Look for, How do I improved my mileage, click on top tier gas.

If you think it's a oil pressure problem, take it to the dealer and let them see what the actual oil pressure is after sitting overnight.
rburt07...I know you believe in the "top tier" gas theory. You've been talking it up on here for a long time. That's ok. Feel free to spend extra money as you see fit. I don't buy it. (sorry, PUN intended! ) We use "cheap" gas...we don't drive out of our way to save a few cents, but usually plan our trips so we can fuel up at one of the cheaper stations....usually the local supermarket chain, Circle K, Sam's Club (Walmart) or Costco brand... alway have, and always will. Between the two of us, we average about 40,000 miles per year driven over the last 35 years, and have NEVER had any verifyable reason to pay more for gas at so called "top tier" stations. So, sorry, I don't buy this "top tier" theory.

My wife drives her 09 TCH 25 miles each way in suburban driving to work and averages 44mpg... Just one of the many reasons we buy hybrids is to save money on gas. Sure not gonna spend 10, 15, or 20 cents more per gallon for "top tier" gas that does the same thing as (what's it called?) "second tier?" gas. To me, if the station pumps alot of gas, then I have absolutely no concerns with filling my tank there. I will, however, avoid a sleepy little "no name" retailer in a small town, unless absolutely unavoidable, (which is truly a rare situation).

Back on subject. It sure sounds to me that the dg370 is experiencing a (lack of) engine lubrication at start up. Why?, I don't know. I no longer work on cars.

We drove our 07 TCH for over 60,000 miles in just about 3 years, and now our 09 has about 25,000 miles, and we have never experienced this type of sound. Besides doing a specific test this week to test dg370's experience, I have frequently done the same thing as described...pulled the car into the driveway to wash it, then let it sit overnight, then the wife starts it and goes off to work. I usually walk her out to the car, and stand nearby as she starts up, backs up...the engine firing up within seconds...and she drives off. No unusual noises.

dg370, I certainly hope you can get Toyota corporate involved to get a resolution to this problem. Keep us posted.

Last edited by jbollt; 02-02-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbollt
rburt07...I know you believe in the "top tier" gas theory. You've been talking it up on here for a long time. That's ok. Feel free to spend extra money as you see fit. I don't buy it. (sorry, PUN intended! ) We use "cheap" gas...we don't drive out of our way to save a few cents, but usually plan our trips so we can fuel up at one of the cheaper stations....usually the local supermarket chain, Circle K, Sam's Club (Walmart) or Costco brand... alway have, and always will. Between the two of us, we average about 40,000 miles per year driven over the last 35 years, and have NEVER had any verifyable reason to pay more for gas at so called "top tier" stations. So, sorry, I don't buy this "top tier" theory.

My wife drives her 09 TCH 25 miles each way in suburban driving to work and averages 44mpg... Just one of the many reasons we buy hybrids is to save money on gas. Sure not gonna spend 10, 15, or 20 cents more per gallon for "top tier" gas that does the same thing as (what's it called?) "second tier?" gas. To me, if the station pumps alot of gas, then I have absolutely no concerns with filling my tank there. I will, however, avoid a sleepy little "no name" retailer in a small town, unless absolutely unavoidable, (which is truly a rare situation).

Back on subject. It sure sounds to me that the dg370 is experiencing a (lack of) engine lubrication at start up. Why?, I don't know. I no longer work on cars.

We drove our 07 TCH for over 60,000 miles in just about 3 years, and now our 09 has about 25,000 miles, and we have never experienced this type of sound. Besides doing a specific test this week to test dg370's experience, I have frequently done the same thing as described...pulled the car into the driveway to wash it, then let it sit overnight, then the wife starts it and goes off to work. I usually walk her out to the car, and stand nearby as she starts up, backs up...the engine firing up within seconds...and she drives off. No unusual noises.

dg370, I certainly hope you can get Toyota corporate involved to get a resolution to this problem. Keep us posted.
Not sure about your area, but in Jax, both Costco and BJ's advertise their gas to be 'top tier certified'.

They also happen to be amongst the lowest cost sources - and it's handy filling up when I pick up the groceries and the like. Now, if only the TCH trunk were a bit more warehouse-club-friendly.