Engine running hotter than normal.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Engine running hotter than normal.

According to the ScanGauge, my engine usually runs at 185-188. In the summer, it can get as high as 195 and it has gotten above 200 if it's hot and there's a lot of city driving.

Anyway, it's not summer anymore and I'm driving in 50-60 degree weather and I notice my car now has runs up to 193 and by the time I turn off the car, the maximum temperature is usually 193-195. It worries me because it's been basically a 30 degree drop in temperature but the engine is runner hotter.

Per my 30,000 checkup, couple things they looked at was the cooling system for leaks, hoses, etc.. and they didn't seem to find anything wrong. My car is only shy of 30,000 by 5 miles but it's been running "hot" ever since the change in weather and I'd say that's at least 400 miles. Off the top of my head, the coolant level is half an inch below the F level. I recently removed the bumper to clean out the radiator but aside from some bugs and pebbles, it didn't look that dirty but I cleaned it out anyway. (Also, I found some of those roofing nail clips mentioned in a previous thread and broke it)

I also want to say this coincides with the rear defrost light flicker that I mentioned earlier but fans and heat/cooling all work so I can't say if that means anything.

Went to the dealer and explained my situation and he said it was normal. Looked in my Owner's manual and it stated "Engine coolant temperature continually higher than normal" as one of those clues that something is wrong. At this point, I'm not sure what to do or what to ask the dealer to do. They said they could do a pressure test for 60 bucks but I passed. Radiator fans turn on at 200 per my experience and the fact that I'm getting very close to that threshold bothers me.

So...normal or paranoia?

Old 10-31-2009, 05:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine running hotter than normal.

I'm in Colorado and my car is fairly new (less than 3000 miles). On longer drives I have notice on the SG that the temperature does get as high as 192 degrees, then the thermostat must open because will cool down to about 182 before it starts its way back up again. Do don't believe that 195 sounds unreasonable.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think your dealer is right. Engine temps in the 190-200 are normal in most cars even if the outside temperature drops to below zero. That's what your thermostat is designed to do. I would be concerned if the tempersture fluctuated wildly, that could mean low coolant and/or air in the coolant system. i.e. A leaky radiator.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll just keep an eye on the temperature but not stress over it.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alphabetbackward
Thanks for the reassurance. I'll just keep an eye on the temperature but not stress over it.
You may be overlooking your high humidity. That also make the radiator cooling less efficient. It's the same for your car air conditioner. It's less efficient in a higher humid area compared to a dry area like Phoenix during the Summer.

I looked at your weather history for monday. I see at 3 and 4 pm was you lowest humidity for the day at 43%, highest was 89% at 8 am. Your lowest humidity should be at the same time as your hottest part of the day.

Information is from wunderground.com (weather history) Sacramento, California.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

Old 11-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Okay...now it's gotten as high as 193 and 195 while driving. One time, I put the heater to maximum and the fan to the highest setting and the temperature went from 191 to 195 and stayed there (I couldn't bear the heat for very long...). This just isn't sitting right with me.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You might worry with the engine temperature if your reading is up to 210 degrees or higher. A reading that high could be a leak in the radiator due to a rock. I don't think I ever remember hearing of a TCH with a stuck thermostat.

Most vehicles built from the late 90's till present usually run normal at 190 to 195 degrees.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Fair enough. I've since changed the reading on my ScanGauge to something else but occasionally check the max temperature after a trip.