Engine shuttering and vibration at start-up

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Enthusiast
Question Engine shuttering and vibration at start-up

I have had my TCH for two years driving towards 50,000 miles and generally it has been running fine. Last winter (20 degrees F) at start up I started to notice an occasional short but loud shuttering noise at cold start when the gas engine kicks on. I reported it to my Toyota dealer/service center. They could not recreate the vibration and noise even when the car was left overnight on a couple of occasions. Now it is summertime and this morning I went to start my TCH (69 degrees F) after it said unused for two days and once the gas engine tuned on the car shuttered for 11 seconds, knocked, vibrated and then transitioned to smooth idle. Has anyone else experienced this extended shuttering condition? I have seen postings previously on light shuttering upon acceleration but not this severe. Does anyone know of any TSBs for this condition?

Old 08-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine shuttering and vibration at start-up

Just a point of clarification; you meant to use the word "shuddering" (to tremble convulsively), not "shuttering" (to close by or as if by shutters).

My first reaction would be to suspect bad gas, but this has happened too many times and for too long a period of time for that to be accurate. Maybe a clogged fuel filter? I dunno - just guessing off the top of my head. You've probably already ruled them out.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 08-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

They also had a TSB out for excess fuel in the evap line (hopefully I remembered the part correctly). It affects 2007 model year only and the early production VINs only.

The TSB is in the thread which contains a ton of TSBs.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

selia, be sure your using a gas listed on the toptiergas.com/ web site. I do remember some cars I had prior to the TCH where I had to clean the injector air intake to prevent some start up problem. This was just inside where the larger air hose connects to the injector throttle body. I think that had more to do with a non steady idle though and not the shuddering (shaking) you mentions.

I always thought this being a lean burn engine might be the reason.

Yes, I occasionally have the shuddering at times when the weather is cooler.

To prevent this, I found it was eliminated any time I would allow the car to roll forward or backwards till the engine started. Which would be more like the old push start.

When starting the engine while sitting still, the engine don't seem to spin fast enough for a good startup. Sitting still the engine starts using the power split device, the traction battery and the electric drive motor. The TCH don't actually have or use a starter like a regular gas powered car.

The rolling start has worked fine for me. The only problem is having to be extra careful when backing up to start the engine. It seems you have to back up farther than usual.

Last edited by rburt07; 08-04-2008 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Electricity Guzzler

My guess is it's your water pump. My car had the same symptoms, was worse when cold though. There's a TSB out for this. Best of luck.

Old 08-15-2021, 02:19 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by selia
I have had my TCH for two years driving towards 50,000 miles and generally it has been running fine. Last winter (20 degrees F) at start up I started to notice an occasional short but loud shuttering noise at cold start when the gas engine kicks on. I reported it to my Toyota dealer/service center. They could not recreate the vibration and noise even when the car was left overnight on a couple of occasions. Now it is summertime and this morning I went to start my TCH (69 degrees F) after it said unused for two days and once the gas engine tuned on the car shuttered for 11 seconds, knocked, vibrated and then transitioned to smooth idle. Has anyone else experienced this extended shuttering condition? I have seen postings previously on light shuttering upon acceleration but not this severe. Does anyone know of any TSBs for this condition?
Hi Selia,
Did you get to the bottom of this issue?
My 2010 TCH has just started doing this.
Engine is moving forward and backward quite severely (maybe 50mm)
Top mount on engine looks in good condition to me.
Not consistent, only when engine is cold (up to 20 deg C) and not every day???

1st issue in >130,000 km!!!