Excessive wind whistling through closed windows?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Excessive wind whistling through closed windows?

When I have all my windows completely rolled up, I can almost always hear the sound of wind whistling through what must be a small crack at the top. But even though I roll them down and back up, the wind still whistles. Does anyone have a non-airtight seal there? How can it be tracked and fixed?

Old 08-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Excessive wind whistling through closed windows?

I have the same type of issue.. where I think it's cracked open slightly and I make sure that the windows are up all the way only to find out that it's already rolled up.

Not nearly as annoying as the buzz/rattle coming out of my left-most vent!

Old 08-14-2007, 06:19 AM
Roy
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KimikoPi
When I have all my windows completely rolled up, I can almost always hear the sound of wind whistling through what must be a small crack at the top. But even though I roll them down and back up, the wind still whistles. Does anyone have a non-airtight seal there? How can it be tracked and fixed?
I have the same issue on the drivers side. I'm of the belief that it may be the seal at the doors as opposed to the windows.
I'm afraid to bring it in as i'm dumbfounded by the response with the voice recognition issue's with the nav/bluetooth.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Enthusiast

I've had the same issue with my doors/windows. Unfortunately, the dealer said it "sounds normal". I've done sound level measurements at different speeds and have confirmed that my car is about 6 to 8 dB louder than "normal". "Normal" being defined as the measurements by Road & Track and by SPL on this site. Also, people without the noise problem listen to the radio at about 20-21 on the highway and I have to set it at 27-28. I'm convinced there is an issue, but good luck getting the dealer to do anything about it.

Someone on this site suggested a fix-it-yourself work-around by putting felt inside the window gasket. I have yet to try it. (Search "Solution for wind wind noise")

See also "Driver side window wind noise"

Old 08-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ToyotaGoblin
I have the same type of issue.. where I think it's cracked open slightly and I make sure that the windows are up all the way only to find out that it's already rolled up.

Not nearly as annoying as the buzz/rattle coming out of my left-most vent!
The buzz is the ionic filter. Those things are crap. When it builds enough dust, it arcs electricity through the dust and makes the buzzing noise. This happened to my home units when I bought them a long time ago. To fix it, I had to hit it real hard to knock the dust loose from between the plates where I could not reach. I am not gonna hit my car really hard though. (btw, don't go ionic, go hepa!)

Old 08-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Enthusiast

At what speed do you all start noticing the unusual wind noise coming through the window or door? I drive fast on the freeways, but I have heard it even at 40-60 mph. The thing is...I don't remember it being so loud when I first got my car. I live in the desert so do you think the heat is making something expand and cause a less tight seal?

Old 08-16-2007, 09:23 PM
joe540ci

After 1 year with my camry I realized that the biggest reason that I can hear the wind noise is because the engine and the rest of the car is almost silent.Try to hear any other noise.Only when the roads have a rouf surface can I hear anything. Try to hear your engine at 60 mph...I can't

Old 08-17-2007, 01:36 AM
Malcontent

Check your door alignment.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KimikoPi
This is the best forum results I have seen on the wind noise subject. This one includes pictures and instructions.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=13596

Old 08-17-2007, 05:01 AM
Malcontent

Filling a gap caused by a misaligned door instead of aligning the door properly is like buying clothes that are too big and then filling the loose areas with crumpled up newspapers.

Quick Reply: Excessive wind whistling through closed windows?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands