Extended warranty necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Exclamation Extended warranty necessary?

A newbie here with another question......Almost ready to choose between dealers and buy my TCH..I KNOW they will pressure me to buy extended warranty/ Never did for my Maxima and didn't need it. Any thoughts out there??

Old 12-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Post Re: Extended warranty necessary?

I opted to take it -- only because the TCH was new technology and also because the dealer gave me a pretty good discount on it. Now that the car has been out a while I think the decision would be harder to make.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:46 PM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07
Default Re: Extended warranty necessary?

Same thinking here. Especially to cover the NAV and other complex electronics. The drivetrain is probably bulletproof.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Extended warranties are a profit item for dealers. Like any insurance, only consider purchase if you could not otherwise cover the repair expense.

Our personal experience is we've never owned a car where an extended warranty would have paid for itself. The only time we did buy one was for an 86 Ford Taurus, which was a new car with lots of features (for its time) to break, so we chickened out and got the extended warranty. Never made a claim.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Not getting nav..just leather with upgrade package, moonroof, heated seats....
How much are they charging for the extended warranty? Heard varied amounts.....Wont pay another $1000...

Old 12-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Camry Freak

I opted against the extended warranties that they offered me. (They offered me everything from a wheel and tire warranty to a bumper to bumper 7 year plan.)

I opted against it because the car already comes with a 8 year warranty on all hybrid related components- so why buy a 7 year warranty - when your extra warranty expires, you'll still have one year left on the 'free' hybrid warranty that comes with the car automatically.

Yes, other things can go wrong, but with my previous Camry, I never had any failures that cost much of anything at all. (My water pump went at 65K miles, but that wasn't very expensive to fix at all.)

Old 12-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Green Guy

Extended warranties are about peace of mind that you won't suffer big expense. If you're okay with a bit of risk, then don't bother with the warranty. You'll probably save money. Or maybe not.

Ordinarily I don't buy extended warranties on my purchases. But I went with the 6-year 120,000 km warranty after initially thinking I would take my chances on Toyota quality. I'm not worried about the traditional mechanical issues. It's just that this vehicle is loaded with computers and sensors.

My experience with computers is that when things go wrong, considerable expense is possible. So for about $500 a year, I have peace of mind about big costs.

Also, the warranty is transferable, a good selling feature.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:37 AM
blahhhhhh!

I also opted for the warranty. I got the best one (Platinum? I think its called?) for like $1000 for 7 years. Not too expensive in the long run. The car is pretty much loaded and I figured if the nav/radio unit crapped out, it'd pay for itself (my dad's did in his tundra after only 6 months!)

Old 12-07-2007, 04:51 AM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07

same here got it for U$990ish

the selling dealer wouldn't go lower than ~1250ish, so I took the online deal

Old 12-07-2007, 06:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I didn't bother with any general warranty, though I did go ahead and take the wheel/tire thing. My reason for that is just that a friend who had a BMW at the time complained about the ridiculous amounts he spent on tire and wheel issues--flats, bent wheels, etc. Think that was one of his major costs with that car (before he traded to an H3, heh). May end up being a waste but the car does have nicer wheels than my old POS, hehe....

Quick Reply: Extended warranty necessary?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands