Extended warranty necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Extended warranty necessary?

You definitely can shop around online with dealers to get the best deal on the warranty if you decide to get one.
You don't have to get it during your car purchase transaction.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

thanks...now that i'm getting the nav I am really considering the extended warranty. Will NOT buy one at same time ..as long as I can get it a few months later..Dont need more stress right now.....

Old 12-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

I went ahead and got it at purchase for a discount. 2007 was the first model year for the TCH, and I wanted the peace of mine. Now that they are looking at replacing the wiring harness to get the rear reading lights to work right, I am glad I got the extended warranty. The new wiring harness will be covered under the normal warranty anyways. The reading lights come with the sunroof.

Here is a thread where one person got the 7yr/75k_mile/0_deductable warranty for $990, and another claims to have gotten it for $600.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...warranty-9254/

Last edited by chris_h; 12-10-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris_h
I went ahead and got it at purchase for a discount. 2007 was the first model year for the TCH, and I wanted the peace of mine. Now that they are looking at replacing the wiring harness to get the rear reading lights to work right, I am glad I got the extended warranty. The new wiring harness will be covered under the normal warranty anyways. The reading lights come with the sunroof.

Here is a thread where one person got the 7yr/75k_mile/0_deductable warranty for $990, and another claims to have gotten it for $600.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...warranty-9254/
I got the 7yr 100,000 mile... o deductable for $990. Showed the internet quote to my local dealer and he met it. No problem. I will probably have 36,000 miles on my car in about 18 months, and I wanted a longer warranty. I feel more comfortable this way.....hope I never need it.

Last edited by acco20; 12-10-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

We got one of the first 06 TCH's. There was little/no track record. So I bought the Extended Toyota Warranty (not an aftermarket brand). So far, I haven't needed to use it.

I'm glad that I bought the "pease of mind". If I sell the car early, I will get a pro-rated refund.

There are (at least) 2 dealers that offer the real-deal warranty on line. Mine was from Mark at Midwest Superstore and was at least half-off of the dealer quote.

See the below thread. Read it carefully there is a lot of good info here.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...st-price-8210/

Old 12-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Search the forum for "extended warranty", there are hundreds of posts on this subject including the best pricing available for each of the warranty packages. If you decide to purchase an extended warranty, print out those prices and ask your dealer to match them. If they don't, then buy them from the sources that are discussed.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Enthusiast

Am I wrong in assuming that CA residents cannot buy these cheap extended warranties from out of state? I tried this online and it said its now a legislation forbidding out-of-state quotes to CA residents, and only the selling dealership can quote and sell this warranty to CA residents...

Anyone confirm this for CA residents??? I am curious if this is true...

Old 12-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Are there any Canadian owners out there who have shopped around in Canada for an extended warrenty, and if so, what kind of deals have you gotten?

Old 12-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Feral Engineer

Save your money and put it in a money market fund. Every time you buy anything at all that offers an extended warranty, add the cost of that warranty to the fund. Pay all repair costs from the fund. Spend the rest of the money on yourself and enjoy knowing that you are not a sucker.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by travelover
Save your money and put it in a money market fund. Every time you buy anything at all that offers an extended warranty, add the cost of that warranty to the fund. Pay all repair costs from the fund. Spend the rest of the money on yourself and enjoy knowing that you are not a sucker.
I'd tend to agree though I admit for HDTV technology I think I'd rather get some kind of plan for it since they can get hosed early on and cost a lot to fix/replace. Especially for the one I got my parents. Though I did also get some kind of no questions asked return thing for an MP3 player I brought to Europe once--and ended up returning, with the effect I basically borrowed it from Sears. But it was adequate to the use yet not something I'd want as a real long-term purchase (as I found during the trip) because of the minimal capacity.

I'm babbling a bit, but it's snowing (again!) and the holidays are rushing up full speed, so... hehe.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty necessary?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands