Extended warranty necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Extended warranty necessary?

Originally Posted by travelover
Save your money and put it in a money market fund. Every time you buy anything at all that offers an extended warranty, add the cost of that warranty to the fund. Pay all repair costs from the fund. Spend the rest of the money on yourself and enjoy knowing that you are not a sucker.
Smartest idea I've seen in a long time. However you can't spend the rest of the money -- you need to keep it in the fund. Think of it going towards your retirement, if not the next major car repair.

Self-insurance for calamities you can afford is always the smartest move. But you need to have the money saved up to meet the "afford" requirement, and, sadly, people in the US have a very poor savings rate.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by chestr
I'd tend to agree though I admit for HDTV technology I think I'd rather get some kind of plan for it since they can get hosed early on and cost a lot to fix/replace. Especially for the one I got my parents. Though I did also get some kind of no questions asked return thing for an MP3 player I brought to Europe once--and ended up returning, with the effect I basically borrowed it from Sears. But it was adequate to the use yet not something I'd want as a real long-term purchase (as I found during the trip) because of the minimal capacity.

I'm babbling a bit, but it's snowing (again!) and the holidays are rushing up full speed, so... hehe.
Bear in mind the cost for the extended warranty is set by the manufacturer. They have done extensive durability testing on the product, frequently to the point of failure. So, they know statistically how likely they will have to pay out on the warranty. They set the price so they will never lose money on the extended warranty. You are betting against them and they have all the data.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by talmy
Smartest idea I've seen in a long time. However you can't spend the rest of the money -- you need to keep it in the fund. Think of it going towards your retirement, if not the next major car repair.

Self-insurance for calamities you can afford is always the smartest move. But you need to have the money saved up to meet the "afford" requirement, and, sadly, people in the US have a very poor savings rate.
Yep, that is it in a nutshell. "Just add the extended warranty to my payments 'cause I don't have any savings to pay for a repair". Like going with a zero deductible auto insurance policy - same logic.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Bear in mind the cost for the extended warranty is set by the manufacturer. They have done extensive durability testing on the product, frequently to the point of failure. So, they know statistically how likely they will have to pay out on the warranty. They set the price so they will never lose money on the extended warranty. You are betting against them and they have all the data.
That's the entire concept of all insurance, though. The question is how much is "peace of mind" worth to you? I could go (well theoretically, health ins is about to be come legally required in MA) without any health/auto/etc insurance at all too, on the assumption that I can't possibly win or they wouldn't insure me, but when you need it, and you're that one guy whose internal organs blow out or car gets crushed or whatever, you're pretty glad there's all those other people out there willing to pay to cover your costs, aren't you? I figured 4 years of "peace of mind" on the HDTVs was worth the 50 or 60 bucks or whatever it was. Especially as my parents are getting older, live out in the boonies, etc, etc. I've never done any other kind of extended warranty (and man I wish the constant stream of messages on my answering machine would stop already!! I swear I get 10 a week about how this is the last chance I have to get extended coverage! I'm just glad I pulled the battery from my home phone's handset and don't have to hear it ring, or answer it to be harassed that often!).

Old 12-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Save your money and put it in a money market fund. Every time you buy anything at all that offers an extended warranty, add the cost of that warranty to the fund. Pay all repair costs from the fund. Spend the rest of the money on yourself and enjoy knowing that you are not a sucker.
Yea thats my husband's philosophy...Cannot wait to see the sales spiel they give me Saturday when I go pick up my fully loaded TCH in gorgeous red!!!!!YIPEEEE!!!
Oh back to the warranty... I HATE talking to the 'business' manager. Already on the phone he gave me the price of remote start YIPES $700 and getting me the price of additional alarm....Do I really need that with the engine immoilizer????

Old 12-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by seaford
Yea thats my husband's philosophy...Cannot wait to see the sales spiel they give me Saturday when I go pick up my fully loaded TCH in gorgeous red!!!!!YIPEEEE!!!
Oh back to the warranty... I HATE talking to the 'business' manager. Already on the phone he gave me the price of remote start YIPES $700 and getting me the price of additional alarm....Do I really need that with the engine immoilizer????
Don't worry, the good thieves use a flat bed truck.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by chestr
That's the entire concept of all insurance, though. The question is how much is "peace of mind" worth to you? I could go (well theoretically, health ins is about to be come legally required in MA) without any health/auto/etc insurance at all too, on the assumption that I can't possibly win or they wouldn't insure me, but when you need it, and you're that one guy whose internal organs blow out or car gets crushed or whatever, you're pretty glad there's all those other people out there willing to pay to cover your costs, aren't you? I figured 4 years of "peace of mind" on the HDTVs was worth the 50 or 60 bucks or whatever it was. Especially as my parents are getting older, live out in the boonies, etc, etc. I've never done any other kind of extended warranty (and man I wish the constant stream of messages on my answering machine would stop already!! I swear I get 10 a week about how this is the last chance I have to get extended coverage! I'm just glad I pulled the battery from my home phone's handset and don't have to hear it ring, or answer it to be harassed that often!).
Sounds like you made a well though out decision that was right for you.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:49 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

I keep all my cars 10+ years whenever possible.
I've always purchased an 7 year lowest mileage possible extended warrantee since I am not a high mileage driver.
Every Toyota Extended warrantee I've owned has paid for itself. Usually several times over towards the end of the warrantee period.
A heater core is almost a thousand dollars these days. I won't guess what it costs to fix a moonroof, smart entry, NAV, CD Player. Those are all big buck items.
Cough up the $700 and get a warrantee but the dealer will ask more than that most likely. Just tell them you can get a genuine Toyota warrantee on the Internet for $700 and most likely they will come close to matching it if you stick to your guns. If they don't budge give Toyota of Greenfield (or one of the other warrantee sellers ... check the messages on this board for choices). You don't need to purchase the warrantee at time of sale.
Also there are other perks that come with a warrantee. Like rental car reimbursement if your dealer does not offer loaners. Are there still dealers that don't offer loaners for overnight repairs??

Old 12-21-2007, 05:21 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by schmidtj
I keep all my cars 10+ years whenever possible.
I've always purchased an 7 year lowest mileage possible extended warrantee since I am not a high mileage driver.
Every Toyota Extended warrantee I've owned has paid for itself. Usually several times over towards the end of the warrantee period.
A heater core is almost a thousand dollars these days. I won't guess what it costs to fix a moonroof, smart entry, NAV, CD Player. Those are all big buck items.
Cough up the $700 and get a warrantee but the dealer will ask more than that most likely. Just tell them you can get a genuine Toyota warrantee on the Internet for $700 and most likely they will come close to matching it if you stick to your guns. If they don't budge give Toyota of Greenfield (or one of the other warrantee sellers ... check the messages on this board for choices). You don't need to purchase the warrantee at time of sale.
Also there are other perks that come with a warrantee. Like rental car reimbursement if your dealer does not offer loaners. Are there still dealers that don't offer loaners for overnight repairs??
I'm sure you are sincere, but it is poor logic to use anecdotal evidence to prove a point. Do you honestly think these extended warranties are priced to lose money? If you were the manufacturer would you look at your reams of service data and set a price that guaranteed you to pay out more than you charged? Google "extended warranty profitability" and look at the facts.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...3110_mz020.htm

Old 12-21-2007, 05:43 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

I'm sure you are sincere, but it is poor logic to use anecdotal evidence to prove a point. Do you honestly think these extended warranties are priced to lose money? If you were the manufacturer would you look at your reams of service data and set a price that guaranteed you to pay out more than you charged? Google "extended warranty profitability" and look at the facts.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...3110_mz020.htm
If I followed your logic I (personally) would be thousands of dollars poorer than I am today.
I agree, it's sort of a crapshoot but so far I'm so far ahead of the game a I just "let it roll" and get the warrantee.
Obviously if I did not keep my cars for more than 7 years I would rethink my logic. But I hold on to my cars (generally) and that seventh year in the extended warrantee has been a godsend for me every time. Not just once but at least the last four Toyota's I've held on to.
YMMV.
It doesn't take much for ANYTHING to break on even the best cars. And at $700 for the policy (which is FAR below MSRP) I think it's fairly cheap insurance at that and Toyota may not be making much at that price point.

Last edited by schmidtj; 12-21-2007 at 05:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty necessary?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands