Extended warranty necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 06:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Extended warranty necessary?

Obviously, as in any crapshoot, there will be winners and losers. The bottom line is that statistically, most people will lose with an extended warranty.

As an example of the other extreme, I've refused every extended warranty (except one car and two notebook computers) ever offered to me and have never had something fail in the extended warranty period except for one notebook, and its repair was less costly than the warranty. In the case of the car, an 86 Taurus, the first year of manufacture and a "loaded' car, there was one failure in the extended warranty period, a power seat motor, and it turned out NOT to be covered!

Old 12-21-2007, 06:47 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by schmidtj
If I followed your logic I (personally) would be thousands of dollars poorer than I am today.
I agree, it's sort of a crapshoot but so far I'm so far ahead of the game a I just "let it roll" and get the warrantee.
Obviously if I did not keep my cars for more than 7 years I would rethink my logic. But I hold on to my cars (generally) and that seventh year in the extended warrantee has been a godsend for me every time. Not just once but at least the last four Toyota's I've held on to.
YMMV.
It doesn't take much for ANYTHING to break on even the best cars. And at $700 for the policy (which is FAR below MSRP) I think it's fairly cheap insurance at that and Toyota may not be making much at that price point.
As a Toyota stockholder, I say keep buyin' those extended warranties!

Old 12-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

All of the previous posts discouraging extended service waranties have some merit.....but.....The 2007 camry hybrid is a first year production car. Yes. I know Toyota has been building hybrids for over 10 years now, but 2007 is still year one for Camry. My point is, if you put on higher than average mileage, say 25,000 miles a year your new car warranty will be over in approximately 16 months. Under these conditions, high yearly mileage, added to the fact of first year model, I would actually RECOMEND an extended warranty. I fall into this catagory and I purchased a Platinum edition 7 year 100,000 mile warranty, with a "0" deductable for $990.00. My dealer met the on line price. Now my anniversary edition Camry hybrid is covered for about the next 4 years. Longer if I start putting less mileage on. JMHO.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Feral Engineer

As a Toyota stockholder I thank you, too.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

You are quite welcome.....

Old 12-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

OK Just got home with the new TCH. ..beautiful car..and loads of reading material.....Wish its wasnt dark out...would like to "play" with it...
Anyway...business manager quoted $2100 for th 7 year 100,000 warranty but mgr came in and offered it for $1600....still too high espcially for this time of year...will have to research...still not sure if it is necessary...If the nav etc goes the faults should come out before 3 years..(optimistic with Toyotas!)

Old 12-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ed_T
same here got it for U$990ish

the selling dealer wouldn't go lower than ~1250ish, so I took the online deal

Can you please let me know, where did you get this deal.
Can you please post the link here.

Thanks

Old 12-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Enthusiast

Can you please let me know, where did you get this deal. dealer name, number etc.,

Originally Posted by acco20
All of the previous posts discouraging extended service waranties have some merit.....but.....The 2007 camry hybrid is a first year production car. Yes. I know Toyota has been building hybrids for over 10 years now, but 2007 is still year one for Camry. My point is, if you put on higher than average mileage, say 25,000 miles a year your new car warranty will be over in approximately 16 months. Under these conditions, high yearly mileage, added to the fact of first year model, I would actually RECOMEND an extended warranty. I fall into this catagory and I purchased a Platinum edition 7 year 100,000 mile warranty, with a "0" deductable for $990.00. My dealer met the on line price. Now my anniversary edition Camry hybrid is covered for about the next 4 years. Longer if I start putting less mileage on. JMHO.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rpal
Can you please let me know, where did you get this deal.

Thanks
YES I'd like to know too.............THANKS

Old 12-23-2007, 01:54 PM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07

Troy Dietrich at Greenfield Toyota

Phone 413 772-0231 or 800 255-0212

This is what I've got on record, prices change over time, could be higher than what I paid about a year ago.

Let us know how you all make out!