Factory Sirius Setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Factory Sirius Setup

for those of you with the factory installed sirius set up, can you use you fm pre-set buttons to also be pre-sets for the sirius radio channels?

and does anyone have a pic or know where a pic is of the antenna mounted on the windshield? iam getting ready to get the dealer to install sirius, but am leary of getting the antenna mounted on the windshield.

Old 09-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Factory Sirius Setup

Originally Posted by waterfront
for those of you with the factory installed sirius set up, can you use you fm pre-set buttons to also be pre-sets for the sirius radio channels?
Yes, X 3. Meaning (I believe there are 6 buttons) you have channel 1, 2 and 3 = 18 pre-set buttons.

Originally Posted by waterfront
and does anyone have a pic or know where a pic is of the antenna mounted on the windshield? iam getting ready to get the dealer to install sirius, but am leary of getting the antenna mounted on the windshield.
I hated the antenna up front at first and thought it should be in the back of the car but I have tint in the back and if I had to replace the antenna or something I would have to replace the tint as well. I don't mind the antenna up-front now.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

As stateed it is 3 sets of 6 presets. unfortunatley you have to cycle through AM and the 3 SAT presets. Toyota needs a lesson in ergonomics, Honda does ergonomics way better. The antenna is in the front window just to the right of the rear view mirror.

If you look close at this picture in the link below you can see the bottom of it just below the dark tint line that runs across the top. It is not very noticable from the outside, the passengar however can see it plan as day. I question if this antenna is as good as a roof or trunk mounted unit like XM or if Sirius' technology is just not as good. With XM I never had drop outs, with Sriius I get drop outs all the time. Personally some love Sirius hate XM and vice versa. I have now had both and both have their pros and cons. Personally I prefer Sirius content, but the drop outs will drive me back to XM in my next vehicle especially since it is far more likely that XM will either be standard or the only factory option in most cars. XM has done a better job at locking up car makers in exclusive deals. I beleive next year Sirius will not be a Toyota option, only XM.

http://www.pbase.com/kluken/image/64409690

Old 09-18-2006, 06:38 AM
Enthusiast

i had sirius in the car i just traded in...and never had drops. i travel all over the country and the only time i would lever lose the signal was when i went through a tunnel.

my guess the drop outs have nothing to do with sirius, but the placement of the antenna toyota is using, or maybe the radio itself for toyotas.

is it possible to get toyota to install the antenna on top of the trunk?

Old 09-18-2006, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast

Nice picture. I think your car is smiling at me.
:-)

Originally Posted by kluken
As stateed it is 3 sets of 6 presets. unfortunatley you have to cycle through AM and the 3 SAT presets. Toyota needs a lesson in ergonomics, Honda does ergonomics way better. The antenna is in the front window just to the right of the rear view mirror.

If you look close at this picture in the link below you can see the bottom of it just below the dark tint line that runs across the top. It is not very noticable from the outside, the passengar however can see it plan as day. I question if this antenna is as good as a roof or trunk mounted unit like XM or if Sirius' technology is just not as good. With XM I never had drop outs, with Sriius I get drop outs all the time. Personally some love Sirius hate XM and vice versa. I have now had both and both have their pros and cons. Personally I prefer Sirius content, but the drop outs will drive me back to XM in my next vehicle especially since it is far more likely that XM will either be standard or the only factory option in most cars. XM has done a better job at locking up car makers in exclusive deals. I beleive next year Sirius will not be a Toyota option, only XM.

http://www.pbase.com/kluken/image/64409690

Old 09-18-2006, 08:21 AM

I am thinking about getting a dfferent antenna at some point. Righ now just trying to get the idiots at Sirius and Toyota to work out my 9 free months, both pointing fingers as to what is going on.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kluken
I am thinking about getting a dfferent antenna at some point. Righ now just trying to get the idiots at Sirius and Toyota to work out my 9 free months, both pointing fingers as to what is going on.
9 Months = $117.00 (ish) the dealer should step up and pay that for you. I'm not sure how your deal was worked but if the dealer agreed it should be on them not Sirius.

Anyway, I know the wire is short and there are only a few places to put the antenna on the front windshield but try moving it around (?). Maybe it's the antenna or the connection (the connection from antenna to Sirius receiver is loose or something)

I've kept an eye on my drop-outs because of your issues Kluk, I only get them driving under a row of trees or under over-passes. I don't think or remember Sirius ever cutting out just driving down the road.

Good luck with it.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:15 AM

Supposedly the 9 months was a deal between the dealer and Sirius, the Dealer has been having issues getting Sirous to reflect it in their system. The dropouts are usually under light tree cover, areas where XM never had a problem, but yeah it could b this crazy antenna setup they use. Funny if i buy an add on Sirius it will have the puck type I see with XM. I'm sure this windshield mount setup is not the most ideal, and what were they thinking when they did it. It does nto bother me, but everyone that gets int he passenger seat asks what the heck it is.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Enthusiast

can you see the antenna from the drivers seat...and can you see wires?

Old 09-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

The wire is hidden

Picture013Small.jpg

Picture014Small.jpg

Last edited by cohort; 09-18-2006 at 12:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Factory Sirius Setup

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands