failed weld between exhaust manifold and cat/converter

Old 10-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: failed weld between exhaust manifold and cat/converter

Thanks guys and gals.

I had a great detailed update for you all but right at the end, I did something wierd with the tab button and something else and it all evaporated in to the web ether.

I am looking in to determining if the problem can be solved in a Bolt-On way or a Weld-On way. And to know this, I will probably have to get it lifted and do some more research.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks ukrkoz

You gave me some great things to consider. You sure like to recommend Meineke services...

Old 10-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks lincolnshibuya.

You are a good salesperson.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had this same issue about 2 years ago when someone rear ended me. They bumped into my bumper and also hit my exhaust

The problem wasn't apparent until like 3 weeks after the accident and after they replaced the bumper. At first the insurance was going to outright deny the claim and only offered to pay half of the cost of $1500 OR they wanted to just do the cheap way out and get it "welded" but apparently in the state of Kansas it wasn't allowed. I had to take the car into Missouri to get it fixed/welded.
I raised hell and wanted them to replace the whole $1500 part...after arguing enough they wrote me a $1300 check for the repair and the dealer gave me a discount that would cover the entire replacement/repair for $1300. Ever since, the problem hasn't came back because they replaced the $1500 part you were describing.

Thank you Molle Toyota Repair Collision Center!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thank you so much for this information!

There seems to be two ways of "repairing" a cracked weld at the CAT/EM junction. I have learned that the welding option is like putting some tape on it. It will hold for awhile.

Unfortunately, I have not experienced a collision so insurance is not an option.

I am going to have a local muffler shop recommended by the local Toyota dealership look at the problem. But I kind of get it now as far as to how long each fix will last.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

And to all you "bolt-on"guys, no matter what, a welder will have to attach the CAT to the EM. This will require the EM to be removed from the engine block. Sorry "bolt-on" guys.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

that depends on which weld and catalytic converter failed. If you are referring to the catalytic converter on the exhaust manifold then you have to replace the whole thing see below

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1516112

if it's after the exhaust manifold (see below), then it simply bolts on to the exhaust manifold, you have to figure out which part failed.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1316891

Old 10-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry for the delay in updates

It's fixed!

I went to a muffler-welding shop that my local dealership had recommended. I stopped by and after explaining the problem, the owner told me to drive up on the lift so he could take a look. We looked at the area along the exhaust system where I said the noise was coming from and sure enough, there was an area of soot about an inch in diameter on the lower surface of a flange junction upstream of the CAT. There was also some soot and discoloration around the remaining circumference of the flange junction. If you go to the following link and look at part #7 in the diagram, you will see the location of the failed weld...

http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/v/v...os/8522290.gif

I asked the welder how much it would cost to repair the weld and he said, "well, I should charge you $40 but today I will do the job for $20". I tried to delay my reply in the spirit of a good poker player, but agreed to the price with little pause.

I watched as much as I could during the weld without frying my eyeballs. There was a decent amount of clearance around the flange and he managed to get a 360 degree weld around it. It took only a few minutes and before I knew it, the lift was lowered and I was backing my car out while listening to the engine/exhaust noise. The noise was back to normal and I took pleasure in having my nice and quiet Camry back again.

In conclusion, I do not know how long this repair will last. The welder said that it should last a long time. I am a skeptic, but considering the low cost of the repair, I think it was hard to beat and there is nothing to lose for trying. If a more radical repair is needed in the future, the fact that there has been a repair weld will have no effect on the cost of repair since the welded section will be replaced anyway.

I hope that you all are enjoying your Camry's as much as I am!

Last edited by BlueCam; 10-24-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

that's good news, how about taping the weld? it will surely last even longer

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ct.do?pid=3859

Old 11-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

How about backing-off and letting everyone know that you consider your sales above everything else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: failed weld between exhaust manifold and cat/converter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands