Below Average - Tinny or a Sound Quality Less Than What I Expected
1.83%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Feedback on the JBL Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Feedback on the JBL Stereo

Looking at getting into a TCH w/o NAV, and I've read the in-depth review of the Camry Hybrid that was posted here, as well as Edmunds In-Line review, CNet and others.

Curious if I could get a volume from current owners on three things:

1. The two reviews give the JBL system high marks, was curious if I could get a volume of current owner's opinions on its sound, features pros and cons, etc.

2. Any problems or sound quality issues with Bluetooth phone usage? (One review panned the bluetooth call quality, and one gave it good marks, although there are most likely other factors that might've affected the call quality during that review.)

3. How many voice phonebook entries does the TCH hold?

Thanks all!

Old 07-08-2006, 08:57 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Feedback on the JBL Stereo

I think the non-nav TCH only holds 20 voice entries, where the nav version holds significantly more. I don't have the figures at hand, though.

I have the non-nav, which means I have a Panasonic head unit rather than DENSO. I have mixed feelings on the stereo sound. It is OK at best. But I came from a Passat, where all the speakers were in the doors. Mid/Bass was low toward the front of each door. Tweeters were high near the front of each door. This means that the back tweeters were fairly close behind me. The TCH has most speakers in the front and rear deck. I think this location makes it harder to get a good sound stage. In 1993 I had an Altima that was similarly laid out. Adding dome tweeters at the far left and right side of the dash worked wonders. I'm not ready for any surgery on my TCH yet. Let other guinea pigs have that honor!

As for sound quality on phone calls, I haven't used it a lot, but I think it sounds even better than I had hoped for. People don't seem to know I'm on handsfree unless the windows are down. I'm very pleased!

Old 07-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm satisfied with the stereo (non-NAV Camry). However, on paper it sounds great (440 watt JBL, 8 speaker). In practice it sounds good, but nothing incredible.

This is my first bluetooth. I think the sound quality is fine. However, you have to speak slowly for it to understand you when dialing by number.

Old 07-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think you need to specify what we are voting on because the stereo on the non-Nav is not as good as the one on the Nav car.

Old 07-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I am a non-nav TCH owner. The stereo is just fine: it sounds good although I think it's a bit boomy. Stereo imaging is nice and wide. I love the diversity antenna in the back window. The CD changer is faster than I had expected, plus having the six CD's up front is so vastly more convenient than in the trunk. The BlueTooth hands free is clear, but you need a fair amount of time between talking and listening. It's no big deal, but I love how the stereo puts itself into pause when the phone starts ringing and the caller ID shows up on the display. You can reject the call from the steering wheel and get right back to the tunes if you so desire. As noted by Orcrone, you must have a pause between clearly spoken digits when dialing by voice. The number shows up on the display so you can visually confirm it before sending. Thanks.

Old 07-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Good info guys.

Hammer,

I don't think the non-nav and nav stereos are materially different other than the nav holds only 4 cds. If I'm not mistaken, both have same wattage and number and type of speakers.

Old 07-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't mean to unfairly label other posters, but I suspect the criticism of this unit is coming from 'stereo snobs' or at least audiophiles.

Perhaps it has to do with what you are used to. I'm coming from a Bose 220 watt, 8 speaker system. The JBL unit in my non-nav Hybrid is a significant improvement. I've been quite impressed with it, so have the others who have been in my car when its been on. It blows away the system that was in the Accord Hybrid/EX V6 than I test drove.

For 99/100 users, this unit is excellent. I suppose if you are REALLY into this stuff, than you'll find areas to nitpick, but I also think question whether that type of user is really going to be happy with ANY OEM stereo.

And the Bluetooth is far clearer than I ever would have imagined.

Old 07-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Feedback on the JBL Stereo

As a comparison, my "other" car has an amazing Mark Levinson stereo, probably the industry leader for any stereo in a production car. I find the Camry's JBL stereo does an excellent job, and I believe most people would be more than happy with its performance.

Old 07-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just went out and test drove an XLE V6 w/6 disc JBL, and a 4 cyl to experience what a Hybrid might feel like on the road.

Definitely a stereo that will meet my needs, it does read the ID3 tags as another poster had said.

...One step closer to pulling the trigger.

Thanks all for your opinions.

Old 07-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am pretty sure the stereos are different. Toyota labels the one in the NAV package as premium. I _think_ it has a different amp or something under the seat.

Quick Reply: Feedback on the JBL Stereo

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands