Below Average - Tinny or a Sound Quality Less Than What I Expected
1.83%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Feedback on the JBL Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Feedback on the JBL Stereo

Pretty good but not great stereo for a stock system. We are coming from a 2000 Maxima GLE which had the stock Bose system which was fantastic for a stock system...the stock subwoofer in that car IMO really helped the sound. You didn't get silly and sloppy base like the kids have with their big sub boxes but it was enough to take the pressure off the main speakers for producing the low tones. That is lacking in the TCH and at higher volumes with music that is base rich the speakers clearly struggle to keep up.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast

The "440 watt" claim is patently untrue. Don't get me wrong, the system sounds nice, but needs assistance to get it to sound more "audiophile".

I just got my car last week and after a few days of listening, feel the need to augment it with a component sub. I am considering either the:

Blaupunkt THB200A

or the

Kenwood KSC-SW1

The big question at this point is whether or not it will fit under the passenger seat next to the stock JBL amp!?

Old 07-17-2007, 05:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Freeze
As noted by Orcrone, you must have a pause between clearly spoken digits when dialing by voice.
Curiously, I find the opposite to be true. If I try to be clear with separately spoken digits, it almost always misunderstands. If I speak more naturally, allowing the digits to run together, it never has a problem. I have the Nav unit - maybe that's the difference?

Old 07-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Zekeman;134352]The "440 watt" claim is patently untrue. Don't get me wrong, the system sounds nice, but needs assistance to get it to sound more "audiophile".

In the "old days" amps were rated differently. If it said it was 100 watts it was to all channels, now if you have 4 channels and each one has 25 watts of power, it is rated at 100 watts total. The 440 watt is 'probably" true with how stereos are rated now.

I have no complaints at all with my JBL/nav stereo. Far better than the Boston Acoustics that was on my '05 300C

Old 07-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

The JBL nav system is very good, with one exception. I find the treble to be lacking. I have it set to max treble and I find, for instance, a lack of cymble reproduction on tunes where drums are featured. Any help on how to get better results would be welcome...........thanx

Last edited by acco20; 07-18-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:53 PM
"Excellent!" Addict

Please please keep us informed - I also believe the system could use some real bass.

Originally Posted by Zekeman
The "440 watt" claim is patently untrue. Don't get me wrong, the system sounds nice, but needs assistance to get it to sound more "audiophile".

I just got my car last week and after a few days of listening, feel the need to augment it with a component sub. I am considering either the:

Blaupunkt THB200A

or the

Kenwood KSC-SW1

The big question at this point is whether or not it will fit under the passenger seat next to the stock JBL amp!?

Old 07-28-2007, 10:31 PM

My non-nav JBL came with all the adjustments set to zero. I pressed the right hand button and set the bass, treble to max. (I think it was +5 ) The fader (front to back audio) to -2 or -3. The middle (center mid range audio) to about +2 or +3. At normal volume it sounded great just on FM. I got a stack of CD's I will give them a try in a few days. I just got the car yesterday.

I found you have to set the adjustments on both FM1 and FM2. I think the AM may also need setting but I did not look at that. When I get CD's to play I will check again for the audio settings to see if those are also on zero.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-29-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:34 AM
SPL

Both the NAV and the non-NAV versions of 2007 Camrys with JBL audio systems use the same digital signal processor/amplifier unit under the front passenger's seat, and 8 loudspeakers (2 mid/tweeters + woofers in the front, and 2 tweeters + mid/woofers in the rear). Placing the front mid/tweeters right next to the windshield not only prevents people and clothing from absorbing the treble (as occurs with door-mounted tweeters), but also prevents the windshield reflection from degrading the high-frequency response. The woofers go down to around 30 Hz, and can handle a reasonable volume before they overload at this low frequency. The system is pretty neutral in its frequency response with the tone controls set at '0'. The 8 amplifiers (one for each driver) are rated at 55 watts each (= 440 W total, but I don't know whether this is with all channels driven simultaneously). The bass tone control operates in a band around a center frequency of 50 Hz; the midrange tone control operates in a band around a center frequency of 800 Hz; and the treble tone control operates in a band around a center frequency of 14 kHz. Since their frequency ranges are largely non-overlapping, raising all three tone controls will result in a decidedly "swayback"-shaped frequency response. AM, FM, and CD allow independent tone-control settings.

Stan

Old 07-29-2007, 01:53 PM

Swayback, just like I used to run the sliders in some of the equalizers on my older cars. I like it that way not to overdrive the singing and enhance the music. Thats a great JBL radio to be included with the car. Some domestic brands of car radios are cheap and also sound that way.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

Originally Posted by Eskimonio
Just went out and test drove an XLE V6 w/6 disc JBL, and a 4 cyl to experience what a Hybrid might feel like on the road.

Definitely a stereo that will meet my needs, it does read the ID3 tags as another poster had said.

...One step closer to pulling the trigger.

Thanks all for your opinions.
You need to drive the Hybrid to experience what the Hybrid will feel like on the road. The 4-banger with a "regular" transmission will not feel like the Hybrid with its CVT transmission and low-end torque.

Quick Reply: Feedback on the JBL Stereo

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands