1.83%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Feedback on the JBL Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Feedback on the JBL Stereo

Originally Posted by SPL
Both the NAV and the non-NAV versions of 2007 Camrys with JBL audio systems use the same digital signal processor/amplifier unit under the front passenger's seat, and 8 loudspeakers (2 mid/tweeters + woofers in the front, and 2 tweeters + mid/woofers in the rear). Placing the front mid/tweeters right next to the windshield not only prevents people and clothing from absorbing the treble (as occurs with door-mounted tweeters), but also prevents the windshield reflection from degrading the high-frequency response. The woofers go down to around 30 Hz, and can handle a reasonable volume before they overload at this low frequency. The system is pretty neutral in its frequency response with the tone controls set at '0'. The 8 amplifiers (one for each driver) are rated at 55 watts each (= 440 W total, but I don't know whether this is with all channels driven simultaneously). The bass tone control operates in a band around a center frequency of 50 Hz; the midrange tone control operates in a band around a center frequency of 800 Hz; and the treble tone control operates in a band around a center frequency of 14 kHz. Since their frequency ranges are largely non-overlapping, raising all three tone controls will result in a decidedly "swayback"-shaped frequency response. AM, FM, and CD allow independent tone-control settings.

Stan
What does the latter half of your message mean in plain English? I don't understand the swayback frequency response.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast

My two cents...

My last car (2005 Honda Civic Si) had the tweeters in the A pillar/side mirror area aimed toward the driver. This created a "sound stage" that hovered convincingly "in the middle" of the car. In the Camry, the tweeters are in the dash top aimed at the windshield, and consequently the sound seems to be centered on top of the dash, which sounds more "constrained" than the more "open" sound of the Civic. (This is true regardless of the balance settings, unless you throw everything full to the back which sounds wretched. I know because that's how the car was delivered -- balance set to all the way in the back on the passenger side!)

That aside, though, it sounds just fine for an OEM system, and the auto volume adjustment is a nice feature for those who end up in stop-and-go traffic much of the time (and seems to operate much more transparently than the similar system in my '03 Infiniti). I've never been in a car that's quiet enough to get super-picky about the sound quality, which is why I've never spent big bucks on an aftermarket stereo that sounds mind-boggling with the engine off, but has vast chunks of the frequency response drowned out at 60 miles per hour.

Ryan

Last edited by Rspaight; 09-25-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just love polls that give you the finger...

Old 10-01-2007, 10:21 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Tideland Prius — Sorry about the delay in responding, but I've been away overseas on business for a week.

High-frequency sound bouncing off the windshield can interfere with the direct sound from the tweeter to your ears, because its path-length to your ears is longer than that of the direct sound. This causes "comb-filter" notches in the frequency response. The best solution to this problem is to place the tweeters as close to the reflecting surface (the windshield) as possible, so that the delay of the reflected sound is as short as possible. Toyota have done this.

The three tone controls each affects the frequency response only over a limited part of the frequency band. The bass tone control's adjustments center around 50 Hz (which is a pretty low frequency — so it only affect the low bass); the midrange tone control's adjustments center around 800 Hz (this is a mid-band pitch — the voice range will be affected by this control); and the treble tone control's adjustments center around 14 kHz (this is such a high frequency that only the high treble is affected). Since these three frequencies are so far apart, if you raise all three controls you get a frequency response that is: boosted at low bass frequencies, and then returns to flat again; boosted again at midrange frequencies and returns to flat again at low treble frequencies; and is boosted again at high treble frequencies. These three "mountain peaks" are what I was referring to as a "swayback" frequency response. It will sound decidedly "colored" and not "neutral," but that's what tone controls are there for I suppose. At least, with the tone controls set to "flat" ('0') the system's sound is pretty uncolored and accurate. Many car audio systems aren't acoustically "flat" at any setting. Of the three controls, the midrange control will "color" the sound most — check this out on voices or on acoustic musical instruments whose sound you know well, and you'll quickly see what I mean.

Stan

Last edited by SPL; 10-01-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:57 PM

ahhh I see okok. That might explain why some Prius owners like the positioning of the tweeters by the A-pillar because it's slightly angled towards the driver/passenger.

So really with a CD playing, this is probably one of the few systems you'd leave at 0,0,0?

Old 10-01-2007, 02:46 PM
SPL

Tideland Prius — Yes, in fact I do leave my CD settings at 0,0,0.

Stan

Old 10-01-2007, 04:59 PM

ahh I see. I'll remember that when we pick one up. For the Prius, some adjust IS definitely needed.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by SPL
Tideland Prius — Yes, in fact I do leave my CD settings at 0,0,0.

Stan
I put mine at 1,2,2 with the bass going to 3 sometimes. I find there is not nearly enough bass for my liking. (I am used to a 12 in 800w sub right behind my seat from my truck....it was a bit of change)