Figured out a hypermiling trick today

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Figured out a hypermiling trick today

Originally Posted by haroldo
So...to summarize for those of us who don't have the head for understanding the upper level physics....
Let me ask one question (and hopefully get a really simple answer
For the average driver, who wants to keep his/her car in good and safe driving condition, using neutral when the car is in motion is .... GOOD / BAD
If the engine is spinning, neutral should be fine at any speed.
If the engine is not spinning, don't do 70 miles per hour in neutral.
Sorry for the winded explanation.
-ed

Old 01-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'll keep it in gear and pay for the extra gas I use, thanks!

Old 01-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

Originally Posted by haroldo
I'll keep it in gear and pay for the extra gas I use, thanks!
+1

Old 01-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have done something similar several times, but with the gear in "D" mode. I started off in e-mode at 40mph at the top of the hill, and as the speed increased, the engine rev'd up but the instant mpg needle stayed pegged BELOW the 60mpg mark (if you have the us version of the TCH you should know what I'm talking about). I have reached speeds as high as 57mph on that downhill.

Anyone in NJ who wants to try this out should drive close to the GW bridge, there is a road that goes downhill leading directly to RT 46. RT 5 and RT1 or 9 South could be reached by exiting at the bottom of the hill. If anyone has questions of which road it is in particular, I'll get the info for anyone who requests it.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Enthusiast

Every time I try to coast in "D" over 42, the needle moves out of blue to the 60 mpg mark.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wes878
Every time I try to coast in "D" over 42, the needle moves out of blue to the 60 mpg mark.
That's simply because the engine is running, but does not mean you are consuming fuel.

It's too bad the way that gauge reads, at least in the U.S. cars. On the Canadian cars, it moves out of the blue to 0 (0 litres/100kilometers), which is much clearer to figure out. Basically the metric gauge measures consumption.

Ideally, with a miles per gallon gauge, it should move from Emode to 9999999999999999999999miles per gallon, or to be more correct, "infinity" miles per gallon, but that's an impossible gauge.

While not always accurate, you can think of it sitting at 60 miles per gallon as using no fuel. (...but to be 100% correct, there are conditions where the car is using fuel, but is getting better than 60mpg, and you won't be able to see the difference between that and a true fuel cut.)

Later!

Dang

Old 01-02-2008, 05:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I just think common-sense has to be used in any move toward improving fuel economy. Hypermiling is a good thing, no doubt. The problem starts when you start conjuring up all kinds of methods to increase your MPG that compromise safety. Being able to keep up with the flow of traffic and "reasonably" accelerating and stopping is the most important thing, i think. Driving in neutral with the vehicle in motion is probably not a smart move. You don't need a degree in Engineering to understand that. That still leaves it open to personal opinions and understanding.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by wes878
I don't know if this has been posted, but I thought I would share anyway. Today, I was going up a hill and hit the top around 40mph. I let off the accelerator, and it dropped to E mode. I then shifted into neutral to see what would happen going down the other side. Imagine my surprise when it stayed in E mode even at 55 miles per hour in neutral!! I'm sure I'm not the first person to figure it out, but I thought I would post anyway. The ICE never came back on either, as I coasted up the next hill. I wonder how fast it can go in E mode, in neutral.
In many states coasting in netural is illegal.
Don't shoot the messenger.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Just a random tidbit for those who may be able to make more from it:
"The HSD "neutral gear" is achieved by turning the engine off. Under this condition, the planetary gear is stationary (if the vehicle wheels are not turning); if the vehicle wheels are turning, the ring gear will rotate, causing the sun gear to rotate as well (the engine inertia will keep the carrier gear stationary unless the speed is large), while MG1 freewheels so no power is dissipated."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive

Old 01-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
In many states coasting in netural is illegal.
Don't shoot the messenger.
One could argue that the TCH is NEVER in neutral. The gears are always engaged and always turning!

Quick Reply: Figured out a hypermiling trick today

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands