The First Ever TCH Taxi is in Toronto

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 06:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default The First Ever TCH Taxi is in Toronto

This may not be the first ever but until I hear otherwise it's the first one I have heard about.....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...nment/Ontario/

Old 01-29-2007, 07:35 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: The First Ever TCH Taxi is in Toronto

Boston has had at least one since last September. http://hybridcars.about.com/b/a/257711.htm

http://cbs4boston.com/topstories/loc...265131724.html

Old 01-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The First Ever TCH Taxi is in Toronto

That first one was a cute story- the point about how Toronto talks the talk but doesn't back it up with any regulations on the city taxis is interesting. I also liked the quote about how the driver avoids getting any idling tickets- but that's a Canada thing and wouldn't motivate taxi drivers in the US. So maybe if we try to lobby for idling regulations, we could induce more people to buy hybrids? Well, it's a thought, but frankly I think the idling rules would have a harder time getting through here than mandatory hybrid taxis, because of the politics in our country right now. The EPA would have to make a public statement about how harmful idling is for that kind of push to have any impact, and under this administration, the chances of that are about as good as me getting struck by lightening in the next five seconds. Four, three, two, one, nope- didn't happen.

Taxis, on the other hand, are mostly local- cities regulate them, and most of our big cities are ruled by Democrats, many of whom have much better records than the administration when it comes to taking environmental issues seriously. So it's possible- we could see more local initiatives like this, soon:
MassPort is also a partner on this project. The agency may soon offer incentives such as reduced airport access fees as a way to get more hybrid taxis on the streets.
(From adamek's second link)