The First Plug-in Camry Hybrid Conversion

Old 09-18-2013, 05:32 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: The First Plug-in Camry Hybrid Conversion

Hi Smiling Jack,

Thanks for all your posts.....very interesting and informative. I have 2 Camry Hybrids and I am very interested in doing this conversion. The Enginer web site list products for Prius cars only, as far as I can see. Also, I cannot find the web site for Automation Tech. I would appreciate any help in contacting them. Thanks, John

Old 09-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johntrobins
Hi Smiling Jack,

Thanks for all your posts.....very interesting and informative. I have 2 Camry Hybrids and I am very interested in doing this conversion. The Enginer web site list products for Prius cars only, as far as I can see. Also, I cannot find the web site for Automation Tech. I would appreciate any help in contacting them. Thanks, John
John,

Thanks for the compliments. I am sorry to disappoint, but Automation Tech is out of business and it's Enginer product is out of production and unsupported.

Their add on plug-in unit was a brilliant concept, and when it worked, it certainly delivered big benefits, but it was plagued by reliability and support problems that may have proved too difficult for them to overcome.

In the end, my experience with the Enginer unit convinced me of two things: 1. Plug-in hybrid was really the only way for me to get great fuel economy, and 2. The add on aftermarket unit was really too much trouble and too unreliable.

So, I sold the Camry (without the Enginer unit), and I bought a factory plug-in hybrid (Ford C-max Energi)

Jack

Old 10-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
In the end, my experience with the Enginer unit convinced me of two things: 1. Plug-in hybrid was really the only way for me to get great fuel economy, and 2. The add on aftermarket unit was really too much trouble and too unreliable.

So, I sold the Camry (without the Enginer unit), and I bought a factory plug-in hybrid (Ford C-max Energi)
Holy Crap

I was getting all excited about this, but the first question that poped to mind was "How reliable is this" after investing 4-5k and you just answered it.

Sounds like an expensive experiment north of $10k with the sale of the car and battery?

Old 05-12-2015, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast

I know this thread is a few years old but I just found it and would like to know if you could repost your photos somewhere else? The imageshack ones I cannot access or view.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I enjoy some of these older post. In 2013 a conversion like this may have cost $4000 to $5000 which some did.

The only problem I see even if the extra battery was trouble free is the added weight. Then the $4000 to $5000 would sure buy lots of gasoline instead of the conversion.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:21 PM
Enthusiast

I actually have a similar project that I'm trying to put together for my jeep. Making it a plug in EV, but gas when then E* runs out.

I have all of the hardware parts machined but I need to catch up on all of the traction motor, batt, and controller technical stuff to make sure I have it all correct.

Any hoo, might you have any pics of the project?

Old 05-11-2022, 07:08 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
This week I made an out of town trip by air. I had a full charge on the auxiliary battery pack starting out.

The Trip to airport on Monday AM (25 mi @ 60 mph+ interstate for 20 of those mi) gave 53 mpg and did not deplete the charge. Summer heat has arrived in Houston; so, the A/C was definitely on.

I estimate that without Enginer system I would have done 40 mpg on this trip using A/C.

On the return trip from the airport on Thursday the aux battery pack charge was effectively depleted 16 miles, or 41 miles, total, including the 25 mi trip out.

For the entire 50-mile round trip (all with A/C) I averaged 50.4 mpg. The difference from the 53 mpg logged on the trip out may well mean that on the final 9 mi of the return trip I got the approximately 40 mpg that I would normally get on this trip with A/C.

Tentative conclusions are

1. The range for effective use of the batteries with this type of trip was 41 miles, somewhat greater than I expected based on my city driving experience.

2. It looks like the unit saved me about 25% of my expected gas consumption for this trip, at over the first 41 miles. It appears that percentage fuel savings will be greatest in city driving - not on the interstate.

Old 05-11-2022, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast

I have a 2012 camry hybrid that iget 40+ mph, do you have any larger aux packs now? More than 4kw, maybe 8 kw available?