First Post Looking For some info on 07-09 Camry Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default First Post Looking For some info on 07-09 Camry Hybrids

I currently own an 08 4runner and love it. My wife has a 2000 accord coupe that has been great but is approaching 150k on the odometer. I don't think its about to die but I do want to get her something newer, especially since we are going to be starting a family soon. She has expressed interest in the camry hybrid several times so I figured I would check into them. I am looking at a few used models right now in the Kansas city area that are priced at around 17k for an 07 with 30-50k miles on it. I'm wondering what you guys experiences are on pricing for these? What have you paid for your camry hybrid (include mileage and year and options if you would).

Also, are there any common issues with these cars that I should be aware of? Anyone running one of these with high miles? Just trying to get an idea of durability, reliability and maintenance costs.

The fed rates this car at 34mpg combined, is this fairly accurate or are you guys getting different numbers?

Sorry for all the newb questions, but hope some of you guys who have owned these for a while can chime in and help me out. Looking to purchase in the next month or two.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First Post Looking For some info on 07-09 Camry Hybrids

Reliability, for the most part average or above average. Toyotas tend to be reasonably reliable cars, in general. A few have had water pump issues. Some complain about rattles or vibrating sounds
Mileage is spot on, but can vary greatly due to driving style (many here can push to higher levels based on the way the drive, tire pressure adjustments, etc.). However, if you drive 'normally' and you live in an area that has seasonal weather (hot/cold) variation, 34 is a good average figure. Weight, driving distance, temperature, tire condition and a host of other factors can result in mileage improvement (but the same can be said for other types of vehicles).
Few have more than 80,000 miles, as the car is still reasonably young, so not many high mileage issues are known at this time, although the Prius, an older car, hasn't aged too badly, so I'll guess the Camry will age well (fingers crossed)
As to value...that's all over the map, best to look at KBB, etc. for values, but the price is what the buyer and seller agree on, so it depends on your local market, economy, etc.

Last edited by haroldo; 04-01-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
Reliability, for the most part average or above average. Toyotas tend to be reasonably reliable cars, in general. A few have had water pump issues. Some complain about rattles or vibrating sounds
Mileage is spot on, but can vary greatly due to driving style (many here can push to higher levels based on the way the drive, tire pressure adjustments, etc.). However, if you drive 'normally' and you live in an area that has seasonal weather (hot/cold) variation, 34 is a good average figure. Weight, driving distance, temperature, tire condition and a host of other factors can result in mileage improvement (but the same can be said for other types of vehicles).
Few have more than 80,000 miles, as the car is still reasonably young, so not many high mileage issues are known at this time, although the Prius, an older car, hasn't aged too badly, so I'll guess the Camry will age well (fingers crossed)
As to value...that's all over the map, best to look at KBB, etc. for values, but the price is what the buyer and seller agree on, so it depends on your local market, economy, etc.
****... Was not expecting the first response to be a home run like that!! Thats very helpful info. Thanks alot!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Veracitorian Muser

Originally Posted by bigwebb83
... are there any common issues with these cars that I should be aware of? Anyone running one of these with high miles? Just trying to get an idea of durability, reliability and maintenance costs.

The fed rates this car at 34mpg combined, is this fairly accurate or are you guys getting different numbers? ...
First, I think haroldo was spot on with his assessment. I just want to add two things.

First, it can be loads of fun to chase the mileage (without pissing off other drivers doing so). With just a little effort, the Camry Hybrid will let you get tank after tank over 40 MPG. With a lot of effort, and good weather, and the right kinds of driving trips, this car can go over 50 MPG. I routinely get 600 mile tanks, and have gotten over 750 mile/47 MPG.

Second, the parallel/serial hybrid technology used by Toyota and Ford is nothing short of awesome. If the mileage were no different, I would still prefer this kind of drivetrain over a conventional gasoline or diesel engine. It has so many other advantages besides fuel efficiency that do not get adequate credit in most discussions.

-- Alan

Old 04-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alan_in_tempe
Second, the parallel/serial hybrid technology used by Toyota and Ford is nothing short of awesome. If the mileage were no different, I would still prefer this kind of drivetrain over a conventional gasoline or diesel engine. It has so many other advantages besides fuel efficiency that do not get adequate credit in most discussions.

-- Alan
such as?

Last edited by bigwebb83; 04-01-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Enthusiast

Just purchased a 2009 TCH with leather, Nav, and sunroof for $16,100 with 25,000 miles

Old 04-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Veracitorian Muser

Originally Posted by bigwebb83
such as?
The list is long, but here are my favorite hybrid advantages:

1) Engine/wheels/motors always fully engaged. No gear shifts, ever. Backing up at 15 MPH and throwing the stick into D; not even a clunk, just a change in direction of the applied power. Reverse 15 MPH to forward 120 MPH, not a gear shift, or any hint of power interruption; just continuous smooth torque.

2) Air conditioner, power steering, alternator, and other things normally tied to the engine belt, always turning with the engine, loading down the startup, making more noise than the engine itself; gone. The AC and PS are all electric. The accessory belt on my engine goes from the crank pully, to an idler, to a water pump. That's it! This allows much quieter engine operation, and less vibration when the engine is running. And, when in electric mode, wow!

3) With most braking done with regeneration, the brake pads last and last and last. With no slippage/clutches/torque converters/bands/etc. in the drive train, maintenance in the "tranny" is nearly nothing. And, with the extremely conservative use profile of the drive battery, the expected life of the battery is greater than a normal automatic transmission, with similar replacement cost. Overall, these hybrids should have significantly less overall maintenance than conventional vehicles (even if they are no where near as maintenance free as all-electric vehicles!).

4) Regardless of speed, including a dead stop, when the pedal is engaged, the applied torque is virtually instant, even if the engine was stopped at the time. The complete lack of hesitation on acceleration from any speed is wonderful.

5) Sorry, but I can't leave this out: 40 MPG

-- Alan

Old 04-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Professor Emeritus

VERY good points and I agree with all of them. My only complaint is that the suspension is sprung a little different than I am used to. Sometimes the car feels a little squirrely. Not enough to ever be a serious issue.

We drive ours 1000 miles per week. Sometimes more. Usually at highway speeds over 70 MPH. We average a little more than 200 miles per day during the week and get 37.8 MPG. THat average is over the last 10 tanks. Not too bad. You can get over 40 MPG. But you have to work at it.

I just like the "idea" of the car. It is a big comfy, quiet, sturdy, relatively quick car that just happens to get good gas mileage. It fills our niche nicely.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have an '08 purchased new. Great car, no probs so far. Going to have some things looked at this spring as far as suspension, etc. because we are driving to the Grand Canyon in August. 68K and only normal maintenance performed. We get around 35-38 mpg in the winter and 40-42 mpg in the summer, sometimes up to 44 mpg. Commute 70 miles a day, comfortable nice sized car for trips.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Enthusiast

thanks for all the input guys. Someone on toyota nation said that the car was really cheap on the inside and he had plastic pieces falling off all over the place etc. Has anyone else experienced this? What kind of maintenance costs can i expect?

Quick Reply: First Post Looking For some info on 07-09 Camry Hybrids

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands