First Questions - Nav and AC

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default First Questions - Nav and AC

Hi All,

My first questions. Had my TCH about two weeks.

1. Can the Navigation system be set so you can program or while driving? My old Garmin Streetpilot let you change the settings and I'd like to do it with the Camry.

2. When I start the car the AC automatically comes on and is set to Recirculate. Dealer says it can't be change but I thought I read that it could be changed. I'd rather that the car start on vent and let me turn on AC as I want.

Thanks very much.

John
Reno, NV

Old 07-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: First Questions - Nav and AC

Welcome John,

The Nav unit is made to not ber operated while the vehicle is moving. Toyota calls this a safety feature. However, if you are tech savvy, you can make the Nav system work while moving. You will have to create a map DVD using your current disk, then change 1 file to an older version to make this work. There are some posts here that explain it very well.

The dealer actually can change the recirc mode so that is doesn't come on by default. However, I believe the recirc mode comes on regardless if you select the Auto function.

Additionally, you can change the setup of the unlocking the doors o the car. I changed it so that when I open the drivers door, all of the doors unlock instead of just the drivers door. This helps to save me from pushing the unlock button on the fob/door to unlock the doors for my family. Again, there is a thread on this site discussing this. Sorry, I do not have the link to post it here.

Congratulations on getting a TCH. Be prepared to find yourself watching the nav screen for your milage and make sure you keep your eyes on the road as much as possible

Old 07-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for info. It raises another question - did you get the DVD for maps with your car? I didn't get one so wondered if I was supposed to get it.

Guess I'm stuck with the recirculate. I did know about the door locking and unlocking changes and got them set where I like.

I do watch the mileage. My previous car was an 02 VW Jetta TDI (diesel). I'm doing a little mileage comparison.

Thanks again.

John

Old 07-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zebrajeb
Thanks for info. It raises another question - did you get the DVD for maps with your car? I didn't get one so wondered if I was supposed to get it.

Guess I'm stuck with the recirculate. I did know about the door locking and unlocking changes and got them set where I like.

I do watch the mileage. My previous car was an 02 VW Jetta TDI (diesel). I'm doing a little mileage comparison.

Thanks again.

John
The map DVD will be in the Nav system the Nav won't work without it.

There is no way you should be stuck with the re-circulate. There a number of people on this forum that have had it changed there's no reason you can't have it changed.

Some dealers will charge you to do it others do it for nothing, but it can be done.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi John,

I don't think the recirculate function is tied to the auto setting on the a/c. Ask your dealer to change the air inlet mode setting to "manual." It takes all of 10 minutes and should do the trick.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Fresh/Circulate switches as needed when the A/C is set in auto mode. If it's real hot, the recirc mode is on until the cabin air cools down. Then the system may switch to fresh.
If you use the defroster, the system switches to fresh.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by klynch
Hi John,

I don't think the recirculate function is tied to the auto setting on the a/c. Ask your dealer to change the air inlet mode setting to "manual." It takes all of 10 minutes and should do the trick.
I asked the deal but they said it could not be changed. Can anyone provide me information or reference to show the dealer on how it can be done?

Thanks

John

Old 07-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

I asked the deal but they said it could not be changed. Can anyone provide me information or reference to show the dealer on how it can be done?

Thanks

John
The dealer is lazy. They just need to plug the scantool in and see the option on the menu.
To get the seatbelt buzzer turned off, I had to show the dealer the owner manual where it said to have your dealer turn off the buzzer.

Here is a file that shows what can be changed
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...5&d=1177776749

Old 07-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

I agree. And don't let them charge you to do this 10-minute job, either.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Can't get the link to open!

John
how about this attachment?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
cust_parms_in41-44[1].pdf (28.0 KB, 32 views)

Quick Reply: First Questions - Nav and AC

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands