Forced EV mode...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 07:26 AM
Dazed and Confused
Default Re: Forced EV mode...

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Flippant (but true) answer: Drive in Reverse.
That is the only way to really FORCE EV mode. All others are just encouraging the computer to choose EV mode.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Flippant (but true) answer: Drive in Reverse.
Just reverse the yellow and brown wires on the shifter and the ECM thinks it is in reverse lol

Old 03-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skywagon
Just reverse the yellow and brown wires on the shifter and the ECM thinks it is in reverse lol
Oh lord....

Old 03-07-2007, 06:15 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ken1784
http://hybridcars.about.com/od/owner...seandglide.htm
A very basic technique to maximize fuel economy is pulse and glide and avoid using battery power.

Ken@Japan
I've read about this but didn't actually try it until yesterday. Now when you accelerate up to 40 MPH do you completely let of the gas and then lightly push back on the gas or do you slightly let off the gas (with still a little pressure on the gas) and then lightly push back on the gas? I didn't succeed at getting no arrows. I did get no arrows briefly (less than a second).

Old 03-07-2007, 06:44 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by tnsig
I've read about this but didn't actually try it until yesterday. Now when you accelerate up to 40 MPH do you completely let of the gas and then lightly push back on the gas or do you slightly let off the gas (with still a little pressure on the gas) and then lightly push back on the gas? I didn't succeed at getting no arrows. I did get no arrows briefly (less than a second).
I'm new to this TCH and am trying this style of driving too. I saw mentioned that this style works once the ICE warms up. I think it is true. When I try first thing in the morning, I don't have any luck running on battery only. After the drive through the Starbuck's drive-thru (2-3 miles), I have much better luck running on Electric only the rest of the way to work.
I have also found I have better luck with the ECO button switched on.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
I'm new to this TCH and am trying this style of driving too. I saw mentioned that this style works once the ICE warms up. I think it is true. When I try first thing in the morning, I don't have any luck running on battery only. After the drive through the Starbuck's drive-thru (2-3 miles), I have much better luck running on Electric only the rest of the way to work.
I have also found I have better luck with the ECO button switched on.

You are correct about the ICE being warm. It is much easier to get into EV mode (run on the battery) when the ICE is warm. I have no problem running on the battery. I have that perfected. I'm talking about the pulse and glide technique. In the glide portion of it you will not be using any energy...meaning the ICE isn't driving the car, the battery isn't driving he car, etc...If you have the Nav and you are in the energy screen you will see no arrows on the display. I'm trying to perfect the glide (no arrows on the Nav screen).

Old 03-07-2007, 07:08 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by tnsig
You are correct about the ICE being warm. It is much easier to get into EV mode (run on the battery) when the ICE is warm. I have no problem running on the battery. I have that perfected. I'm talking about the pulse and glide technique. In the glide portion of it you will not be using any energy...meaning the ICE isn't driving the car, the battery isn't driving he car, etc...If you have the Nav and you are in the energy screen you will see no arrows on the display. I'm trying to perfect the glide (no arrows on the Nav screen).
Is this where the Prius and Camry differ? I heard that the Prius will not coast on it's own. If you take you foot off the "gas" it will try to charge the battery thus slowing you down. Is this why the glide technique is required?

If I take my foot off the "gas" in the TCH, I'm gliding. It's as easy as that.

I am not an expert by any means...I'm just trying to understand. I only have 1,000 miles on this TCH!

Old 03-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
Is this where the Prius and Camry differ? I heard that the Prius will not coast on it's own. If you take you foot off the "gas" it will try to charge the battery thus slowing you down. Is this why the glide technique is required?

If I take my foot off the "gas" in the TCH, I'm gliding. It's as easy as that.

I am not an expert by any means...I'm just trying to understand. I only have 1,000 miles on this TCH!
Both the Prius and TCH go into regen mode if you take your foot off the "gas". The amount of regen when coasting feels lower for the TCH to me. Try shifting to neutral on a level road and notice the difference. If you have the energy flow displayed on the MFD or the NAV, you can easily see the regen taking place.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:07 AM
HSD Organic Interface

From what I understand, gliding involves finding that really light touch on the gas pedal that cancels regen but does not provide drive from the battery. Apparently it's easier on the Prius, but on the TCH this is really hard to do for more than a couple of seconds.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
From what I understand, gliding involves finding that really light touch on the gas pedal that cancels regen but does not provide drive from the battery. Apparently it's easier on the Prius, but on the TCH this is really hard to do for more than a couple of seconds.
Yes, you are rite on, and when you find that spot your MPG will increase greatly. The differance between the leadfoots and the lightfeet is Smilage!!!

Quick Reply: Forced EV mode...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands