Front left wheel well area: pop sound when going over a bump

Old 02-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Front left wheel well area: pop sound when going over a bump

Hello folks,

Over the last month or so I have started hearing an intermittent "pop" sound from the front driver side wheel well when I drive over a bump such as a speed bump (even when going slow < 8 mph). I suspect the source of the noise is the shock and it seems to happen when it is cold (of course it has been below 30 for awhile here in NY).

It this because of the temperature or could the shock be going bad? Or, is it something else.

Thanks!
Mike

Old 02-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Default Re: Front left wheel well area: pop sound when going over a bump

Mine doesn't do that, so I would imagine it is not normal?
Turn the wheels left and right, get some good light and see if there is oil leaking from the top of the shock. Little oil/dirt is ok, but anything bellow the mounting cup means the shock is bad, per Toyota RM. Also check the bushings, ball joints for play. Also push on the hood on left and right side to see if the bouncing stops at most on the second rebound, should be similar on both sides. I'm assuming the noise is present most of the time, since it is normal for car park in cold weather overnight to have few squeeks and cracks (for example some ice build up), but should go away after few minuttes of driving. Of course the easiest thing would be to have dealer look at it, but remember they make money when they fix things, even if the fixing is not really needed and if the car is on warranty, at least you're not paying for it, but if not, dealer could get very creative. For example they wanted to change my break pads with 75 % front and 60% rear, of material left on the pads. Good luck.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Enthusiast

Michael Hi,

Please forgive my english...
From what you describe, it seems that it is the normal wear and tear of the upper housing(not sure it is the right word for it..) of the shock absorber..
How many miles on your camry?

Old 02-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Michael,

There are several items in the suspension that can cause a noise like you are describing. The CV joints/boots, control arm bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, struts, draglink or steering arm can go "pop". It could be something as simple as a piece of sheetmetal flexing under load. Take it to a good dealership or talk to your friendly neighborhood mechanic. They should be able to find out what is wrong and let you know.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:59 AM

Their are two ways you can test the cv joints.

My favorite is to open your drivers side window. In a open parking lot, slow to about 3 mph. Slowly turn the wheel all the way to the left (full lock) and listen for any clicking noise as you drive in a circle. You can then turn it all the way to the right and listen again.

This other way is some used car evaluators method. I don't care for this one.

Where it's quiet on a city street or parking lot. Slow to about 3 or 4 mph. Turn the wheel about half turn, then hold the accelerator and at the same time, pump you brakes while under power. Do this again, but first turn the wheel some in the opposite direction. This will cause any loose cv joint to act up where you can hear it.

The pop sound could be as simple as a needing a shim in one of he struts.

Last edited by rburt07; 02-05-2009 at 02:47 PM.