Front License Plate Mount...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Enthusiast
Default Front License Plate Mount...

I haven't noticed any comments or threads on this subject. The dealer had their license plate frame mounted directly into my front bumper with a couple of machine screws. After removing it, I notice there were no pre-drilled holes for actual bolts like on the trunk lid. My state requires a front plate so I do have to have it there, but all the other cars I've had have some type of holder mounted to the bumper or preset holes.

The dealer told me the '07 Camry's front plates do not have a holder, and are screwed directly into the bumper. Does anyone know if this is correct. I want to bind out before I make the holes even more permanent by making them large enough for tamper resistant machine bolts.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Front License Plate Mount...

That is not correct. The license plate bracket should come with it. At least in CA.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Enthusiast

In my car, the cars bumber isn't designed to hold a plate. The dealer screwed 2 holes right on the bumber. So cheap...

Old 09-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Accordint to this thread: New rear end, a license plate bracket is available, but is not standard on the Hybrid.

The bracket would still require drilling holes in the front bumber, however. My Infiniti was the same. I don't think Japanese car manufacturers design their cars with a front license plate in mind. They certainly all tend to look better without one. I left the front license off of my Infiniti for a couple of years, until I got two "fix-it" tickets within the span of one week.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The front plate bracket is definitely an optional accessory. I was able to find a tech bulletin on how to install it and it identified it as optional. I did get my dealer to put it on for me. It was an easy install, but I surely wasn't going to do it on a week-old car.

FYI, I paid around $16 for the part, and it definitely makes the front plate look better and it seems to be more secure as well.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:27 AM
it's just a car...

Just curious -- what is the front license tag for anyway?
Most states seem to get by just fine without them.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dalerb
Accordint to this thread: New rear end, a license plate bracket is available, but is not standard on the Hybrid.

The bracket would still require drilling holes in the front bumber, however. My Infiniti was the same. I don't think Japanese car manufacturers design their cars with a front license plate in mind. They certainly all tend to look better without one. I left the front license off of my Infiniti for a couple of years, until I got two "fix-it" tickets within the span of one week.

OUCH!!! Yeah I got a warning for that on my previous car, so I just leave it on now. I'll try to look around for a bracket. I never looked at the regular Camrys to see if they had one or not.

If anyone has got a pic of the plate holder could you please post it. Dealer's seem to be a bit lacking in the knowledge dept with the THC.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PolarBear
If anyone has got a pic of the plate holder could you please post it.
A picture is included in the link in the thread you just quoted. I know this because it's my picture!

You do not need to have any pre-drilled holes for this install. The bracket self-centers itself along the front bumper (it's pretty idiot-proof), and it comes with two self-tapping screws, so the install takes 2 minutes if you have a screw gun.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:13 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Flopshot! I was hoping it would mount by having a lip tuck under the air dam and bolt to the interior part of the bumper like on my Accord. I guess it's goin into the bumper one way or another.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Whoever was looking for one of these, there is one for sale on EBay, starting bid is $9.99 which is 1/3 of the dealer price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...QQcmdZViewItem

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Mount...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands