Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Fuel brands, ethanol & mpg (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/fuel-brands-ethanol-mpg-20264/)

vioarc 11-12-2008 06:36 AM

Fuel brands, ethanol & mpg

I've always used Shell regular in my TCH because it's convenient.
I noted the "contains up to 10% ethanol" sticker on the pump, but didn't think much about it.
After reading a post here suggesting ethanol may reduce MPG, I'm considering switching to a brand that has no ethanol.
Which brands are ethanol-free?
Should I expect higher MPG?

GeorgiaHybrid 11-12-2008 07:43 AM

Re: Fuel brands, ethanol & mpg

Gary,

It depends on the state. Some require the use of ethanol in gasoline and others do not. Georgia does not require it but the owners of the stations can choose to add ethanol to the gasoline they sell. Most of them started adding ethanol when gas went to $4.00 per gallon and the ethanol cost was roughly one half of that.

One lone Chevron in my town still sells (and advertises) 100% gasoline. I now buy from them as the price difference (3% right now) is more than offset by the mileage improvement.

mikieboyblue 11-12-2008 10:31 AM

I truey believe ethanol reduces effective MPG. In my TCH and in my previous vehicle, I would notice about 10% less MPG when using gas containing 10% ethanol.

In New York State you used to be able to get 100% gasoline part of the year and then 90% gasoline / 10% ethanol in the other part of year. However, this has now changed so that the mix is always 90/10%.

My average MPG is about 36 in the summer months while in NYS. When I traveled south and was able to get 100% gasoline, my MPG was consistently 38 - 40 (no I did not change my driving habits and VA, NC, and SC are still pretty hilly areas).

But oh well....

I usually get Sunoco fuel as it seems to be the best in town but sometimes I go to a cheaper 7-11. Interestingly, they just opened a Shell across the street from where I live. It used to be a Mobile.

JoeRemix 11-16-2008 12:03 PM

There have been threads on this subject before. Fuel economy is affected more strongly by the detergents (additives) that various companies use in their gasoline. All companies are required to use a minimum amount, but stations that are "Top Tier Gas" stations use a better package than "cheap" gas.

Check out www.toptiergas.com

I have experienced a boost in FE when I switched to gas from Top Tier stations exclusively. I used to use the cheapest (Sam's Club, Costco, Sheetz, etc.).

SnottyW 11-17-2008 06:36 AM

Here is a snip out of the Top Tier rules...one that I'm not fond of.

1. Contain enough denatured ethanol such that the actual ethanol content is no less than 8.0 and no more than 10.0 volume percent.

mikieboyblue 11-17-2008 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by SnottyW (Post 191417)
Here is a snip out of the Top Tier rules...one that I'm not fond of.

1. Contain enough denatured ethanol such that the actual ethanol content is no less than 8.0 and no more than 10.0 volume percent.

With that in mind, new vehicles should be capable of adjusting whatever is needed to make up for that correct?

My old vehicle's mpg dropped severely when stations switch to ethanol from a non-ethanol blend. I have not been able to see the impact much with the TCH because all stations in my area run 10% ethanol year round.