Fuel Economy Difference Between 2012 TCH LE & XLE

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Fuel Economy Difference Between 2012 TCH LE & XLE

Why is there a difference in fuel economy between the LE (43/39) and XLE (40/38)? I'm considering the Camry Hybrid as my next vehicle, and I'd like the XLE trim, but not if I have to sacrifice MPGs.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fuel Economy Difference Between 2012 TCH LE & XLE

I think I found the answer...

http://answers.edmunds.com/question-...gs-146908.aspx

Old 02-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast

The post you found explaining the difference in mileage is pretty accurate. I recently purchased an XLE and didn't realize that it had lower EPA MPG ratings. I did some research and found the same answers you did; Edmunds.com did a good job at explaining the MPG differences. To give you some peace of mind, I have consistently averaged 43 MPG or higher from my XLE, with a best of 44.9 MPG from my first fill-up. I consider myself a cautious and conservative driver; however, I take no special driving techniques to achieve this MPG, I drive it just like my other non-hybrid vehicle. It would be interesting to know what current 2012 LE hybrid drivers are averaging on theirs. Hope this helps you in your decision making.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Donfilmore25
The post you found explaining the difference in mileage is pretty accurate. I recently purchased an XLE and didn't realize that it had lower EPA MPG ratings. I did some research and found the same answers you did; Edmunds.com did a good job at explaining the MPG differences. To give you some peace of mind, I have consistently averaged 43 MPG or higher from my XLE, with a best of 44.9 MPG from my first fill-up. I consider myself a cautious and conservative driver; however, I take no special driving techniques to achieve this MPG, I drive it just like my other non-hybrid vehicle. It would be interesting to know what current 2012 LE hybrid drivers are averaging on theirs. Hope this helps you in your decision making.
Hi Don,

Do you use ECO mode full time or just normal mode. I have got up-wards of 47 on backroads (according t the computer) but I only got that by pi$$ing off a lot of people with my take off speeds... On the freeways I truthfully am averaging in the 41-42 range in ECO and was wondering if you also use ECO.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Enthusiast

Jason,

That is a excellent observation, in my response I overlooked my use of the eco mode. To answer you question, yes, I use the eco mode full time. I attribute my ability to drive the car at a "normal" driving technique and still get exceptional gas mileage because of the use of the eco mode. As you probably already know, one of the functions gained by using the eco mode is that it regulates your engine's response to gas pedal pressure and levels out accelerator spikes. I've been in the same situation that you were, but I got tired of people behind me honking and flipping me the bird. I took a 200 mile trip recently and set the cruise at 60 mph (posted speed limit was 55), I ended up averaging 46 mpg. On the interstate at around 75mph I have averaged 41 mpg. With all this said, I'm very impressed that the car actually delivers better economy than the EPA estimates. On a different note, this car is really fun to drive without the eco mode on, it's really quick and can get up and go.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Don and Jason,

Thank you for your responses! My plan is to buy a TCH exactly one-year from now, Presidents Day weekend next year. I stopped at dealer this afternoon and showed my wife, and she likes it.

Even though I haven't owned a Hyundai in several years, I have owned a 1993 Excel, 1996 Accent, 2000 Sonata, and 2001 Elantra, and I planned on going back to Hyundai again for my next new car purchase, and, loving the Sonata styling, the hybrid version of it was going to be the one. However, after seeing the increase in fuel economy that Toyota has made with the TCH, it's tops on my list now.

Thanks again!

Old 02-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Gentleman,

Are your stated MPGs from the computer or actual?

Old 02-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Escape_from_Hanover
Gentleman,

Are your stated MPGs from the computer or actual?

Mine are actual longhand calculated MPG's. I have found the computer calculated fuel economy is very similar to the hand calculations.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Escape_from_Hanover
Don and Jason,

Thank you for your responses! My plan is to buy a TCH exactly one-year from now, Presidents Day weekend next year. I stopped at dealer this afternoon and showed my wife, and she likes it.

Even though I haven't owned a Hyundai in several years, I have owned a 1993 Excel, 1996 Accent, 2000 Sonata, and 2001 Elantra, and I planned on going back to Hyundai again for my next new car purchase, and, loving the Sonata styling, the hybrid version of it was going to be the one. However, after seeing the increase in fuel economy that Toyota has made with the TCH, it's tops on my list now.

Thanks again!

Since you are planning on waiting one more year, I would also recommend the all new 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid to make your list. Ford claims it will have a 47 mpg city and 44 Hwy.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:54 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Donfilmore25
Mine are actual longhand calculated MPG's. I have found the computer calculated fuel economy is very similar to the hand calculations.
agree with Don. The 47 number I threw out was from computer, however I track manually at fill ups and 41-42 are very doable... As long as you dont treat your tch as a ferrari.

Quick Reply: Fuel Economy Difference Between 2012 TCH LE & XLE

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands