Fuel gauge and range and gallons pumped

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Fuel gauge and range and gallons pumped

Hey gang

I'm just curious when do you guys fill up?

If I fill up when the fuel light goes on, I can barely put in 13.5 gallons.

I've only put in 14.xx gallons twice.

1. How long do you drive with the fuel light on?
2. What is the lowest range the trip will read out? (I've seen down to 12 miles)
3. What is the most amount of gallons you've put into your vehicle? 15? 16? 17?

Thanks.

-Mike

Old 09-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fuel gauge and range and gallons pumped

Originally Posted by jetttstream
Hey gang

I'm just curious when do you guys fill up?

If I fill up when the fuel light goes on, I can barely put in 13.5 gallons.

about same here, or less. 12.5-13.5, as it really depends on dispenser sensitivity, design, and surface inclination.

I've only put in 14.xx gallons twice.

15 or so once

1. How long do you drive with the fuel light on?

there is no trophy for running out of gas, and TCH does not like it. I know, but won't tell. do not recommend testing this.

2. What is the lowest range the trip will read out? (I've seen down to 12 miles)

?????? what do you mean? I have driven for quite few miles with my trip computer showing "0" miles range left, and done this for quite few times.

3. What is the most amount of gallons you've put into your vehicle? 15? 16? 17?

Radyard Kipling's Mawgly said "he likes to pull on Death's mustache". don't. light comes up, fill as soon as you realistically can. no reason to a) get stranded b) mess up the car c) raise dirt from the gas tank up into your fuel pump, scraping what's left of gas from the bottom.

Thanks.

-Mike

Old 09-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm still getting 500+ on a tank which is outstanding, but thanks for the info. I guess it is deceiving when you read that it has a 17 gallon tank...

-Mike

Old 09-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

527-548 on a standard refill, which is like I said above. I can hit 560 on a good day. summer time.
shy of 500-488 winter time.

but that was not your question. you question was, how far you can push it, and that was my answer - don't.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Noted, thanks.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Veracitorian Muser

My 2 cents... When the light first goes on, you have at least 100 miles. I usually refuel as soon as convenient after the light goes on, but don't get a sense of urgency until 100 miles after the "0 miles to empty" first shows, which is a bit after the light first comes on. Only once did I need over 16 gals to fill it. This is the same way in my Sienna, which also reads 0 miles to empty when there is at least 100 miles left in the tank.

I had a Volvo 850 which would count down the final "miles to empty" in the tenths of a mile, and would be completely out of gas within a mile of reading zero! It's low fuel light came on at exactly 60 miles to empty. A refuel around 0 miles to empty would always take a full tank's worth of gas. This is just not the Toyota way!

Note it is best not to run the tank to empty, as fuel in the tank helps cool the fuel pump. (However, I have never had to replace a fuel pump.)

-- Alan

Old 09-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Pragmatist

As ukrkoz said, "there is no trophy for running out of gas, and TCH does not like it."

I cannot think of any good reason to push the limit on this. At most, some limited bragging rights might be afforded.

I can think of a few good reasons not to push this. There is a reason why we buy cars -- including to avoid unnecessary walking and carrying. Carrying fuel to a car on the side of the highway is particularly foolish.

The fuel tank in these cars has a "bladder" inside the metal tank. The metal tank has a capacity of 16 gallons, IIRC, but that is reduced by the bladder. Depending on how the bladders is folded and how much air is trapped, the actual capacity can be as little as 13 gallons. And, it can vary from one fill-up to the next, even in the same car.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

I typically fuel up with 15 to 15.5 gallons.

The needle will be below 'E', the red fuel light will be on, and the range will have been zero for a long time.

As people have noted, the fuel gauge is VERY, VERY conservative. It was designed for those people who tend to mix up the pedals...

If you are forgetful it would be best to fill the tank. If you know your car there is no problem getting maximum range.

I reset my trip odometer at every fill up and keep an eye on it. It is my fuel gauge.

In almost 80k of miles I have never come even close to running out of gas.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteveHansen
The fuel tank in these cars has a "bladder" inside the metal tank. The metal tank has a capacity of 16 gallons, IIRC, but that is reduced by the bladder. Depending on how the bladders is folded and how much air is trapped, the actual capacity can be as little as 13 gallons. And, it can vary from one fill-up to the next, even in the same car.
No bladder on the Camry. (Only the second generation Prius had the bladder)

The fuel tank capacity is constant. This makes it easy to predict your range.

Last edited by n8kwx; 09-08-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

I was able to run it a couple miles when it reads "0 miles to ..", I assume the distance to empty is a very conservative estimate. Tried to avoid that from happening again.

On Top Gear Season 12 ep 4, on one of the challenges Clarkson emptied the Jaguar XJ but they claimed that it could still go 120 miles more.

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge and range and gallons pumped

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands