View Poll Results: Does Having a Nav System Help you get better FE?
Yes, I have noticed it!
39.29%
No, I don't think It makes a Difference!
53.57%
Whats a Nav system? I really dont care about the FE
7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Gas Milage on Your TCH!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Advanced Technology-PZEV
Exclamation Gas Milage on Your TCH!

People said, so its here....Be Honest on this poll.

Do you think having a Nav improves your FE?

Old 09-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Gas Milage on Your TCH!

I definately think the NAV system and it's extra Fuel Economy (I hate to call it "Consumption")/Energy screens make a big difference for me. As others have said, I play a game with myself and try to get better mileage every trip, and every tank. Being able to see the energy screen graphics is a big help in learning how this fantastic technology can best be used for the best gains, and the "best" and current trip resetable indicators and bar graph are added tools.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

The NAV System... does that mean the navigational system where the radio is? I have the screens you are talking about where my MPH/fuel meters are but I don't have a Navigational system.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

At first I was using the nav system and the graphs to see if I can improve on my fuel economy. I've tried hard to do so for the first three weeks or so, but I couldn't get more than 35-36mpg regardless of what I tried (pretty much everything short of pushing my car). It started to become a frustrating experience so I finally decided not to pay any attention to the FE graphs and I used the nav system only for navigation or system energy flow occasionally (no graphs). I just wanted to see if I drive my car "normally" what do I get (my usual speeds about 5-10 miles above speed limit, no hard acceleration but not sluggish either etc). My mpg is currently 39.8 for my last tank and it was 40.1 on previous one (same roads as before, A/C on). I voted that it didn't make a difference for me (actually made it worse).

Old 09-12-2006, 04:15 PM
WVGasGuy

I assume those voting yes or no have the NAV system? If not then how would this poll have any meaning?

Old 09-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
I assume those voting yes or no have the NAV system? If not then how would this poll have any meaning?
Good point, Joe!

Old 09-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

I feel the bar graph on the nav screen helps me keep a better track of my shorter distance FE especially if there a lot of miles on the present tank where the tank average does not fluctuate as easy. On the interestate it is not much value especially on the flat roads where the FE is usually a consistant 41 to 42 mpg so I usually monitor the batery or have the map up.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:15 PM
WVGasGuy

I just went out to eat tonight with my wife and on the way up we were getting 39 mpg. I was in no hurry so on the way back we got off the intersatae and took a back road for the last 8 miles and it only takes a couple of minutes extra. I was able to get the trip average up to 42. Without the NAV screen I would have only noticed my tank average moving 1 or 2 tenths.

Also I reset it last night and when I got in the car to go out to eat I saw that she got 39 mpg driving to the church today. It's a trip I get 42 on the same route. She was punished by going to the restruarant of my choice!

Old 09-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Advanced Technology-PZEV
Talking Re: Gas Milage on Your TCH!

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
I just went out to eat tonight with my wife and on the way up we were getting 39 mpg. I was in no hurry so on the way back we got off the intersatae and took a back road for the last 8 miles and it only takes a couple of minutes extra. I was able to get the trip average up to 42. Without the NAV screen I would have only noticed my tank average moving 1 or 2 tenths.

Also I reset it last night and when I got in the car to go out to eat I saw that she got 39 mpg driving to the church today. It's a trip I get 42 on the same route. She was punished by going to the restruarant of my choice!
Joe,
i appreciate the feedback!