Getting Low MPG in City - 2007 TCH

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: Getting Low MPG in City - 2007 TCH

Originally Posted by technix
Wow! Thanks for all the replies and information, I really appreciate everyone's input.

Things to consider:

I am making short trips 4-7minutes in city so that could be a great deal of why im not getting the best in city.

Over the past few days I have "understood" the vehicle a lot more and am now typically receiving 27-30mpg in city.
Still more to learn
I have stopped accelerating slow, and have found that accelerating up past my speed and letting it coast gives me greater mpg.

I have a couple questions I was searching on the forums and couldn't find them so I apologize if they were already explained hundreds of times.

What is ICE? and Could you explain "feathering the pedal"?
ICE stands for Internal Combustion Engine; "Feathering" is an attempt to minimize current into and out of the HV battery as this avoids electrical losses and maximizes MPG
I assume feathering is getting to your speed and just lightly pressing or tapping the pedal to use the battery to power the car.
See above
Thanks for the tips about taking it to the dealer Joe, had no idea that is free of charge.

And have you all ever tried premium gas? did you get better MPG? I am using regular.
Using premium gas in a car set up for regular gas will decrease MPG as premium gas has LESS energy content than regular gas.
THANKS AGAIN, great information from all of you.

-Ted

On the Highway I am doing great.. 38mpg.

Over the past few days what type of gas are you all using

Old 09-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

ICE is the gas engine..Internel Combustion Engine.

I think most will agree that using premium is a waste of money, but there are some who insist it gives better mileage. I personaly doubt it. I suspect they get better mileage because they want to justify the higher cost, so consciously or not, they drive differently.

EDIT: WOW! I didn't see jdenenberg's post. Oh well, me beat me to the punch by hours!

Last edited by jbollt; 09-12-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have gone to midgrade gas here in Texas due to the 94-100 degree heat AND the forced introduction of 10% ethanol.

Mileage is better on mid grade, but I will probably go back to regular grade during our cooler months (both of them.)

Old 09-15-2010, 04:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Tires - Tire pressure is important for improved mpg. Try checking your tire pressure a hour or so after dusk. That allows them to cool and you get a better check with no sunlight on them. I would suggest 35 to 37 psi for bridgestone's and other brands. If you have the michelin energy tire, you can comfortably run them at 40 psi.

The highest mpg tire I have found so far is the michelin saver a/s tire. Cost a little more but michelin claims it will save about $200 in 5 years of driving due to the increased mpg.

For comparison I get 47 mpg driving at 60, with AC. The main thing in new mexico is the elevation. Lots of dry air out here, some days it's down to 5% but lately around 20%. I found if the humidity is above 45% it can hurt your mpg some. I do granny takeoffs, but if the engine kicks in then I also accelerate a little faster. I coast a lot and use the cruise all the time when above 25 mph, even in town. I doubt you can do that with your red lights being close together.

You should drive 45 mph when driving slightly uphill. Slightly downhill try 40 mph for the EV mode to work more often. Be sure to use the cruise.

I drive slower than the city traffic. Our streets are not crowded like the large cites. I can accelerate up to 25 to 30 to make the next red light. It takes more fuel to accelerate up to 35 or 40 unless it's miles to the next light.

Check you front tires to see if you have any side wear. The front end on these cars should hold up over 100,000 miles, unless you hit a curb pretty hard.

Gas - I live near Alamogordo and our gas is trucked in from El Paso. So far no ethanol that I know of. Our best brands of gas here in town is, Chevron, Phillips 66 and Shell. I use 86 octane, that's the number due to the 4100 foot elevation here in the desert near white sands. It's big time flat out here unless we drive up into the nearby mountains.

Here is where you can choose a top tier gas where you live. Be sure to read all the links on the site, then the retailers link. It's also listed in haroldo's FAQ.
http://www.toptiergas.com/

Be sure to read haroldo's New Owner's FAQ 2.2 at the top of the Thread.

Enjoy your new ride..