Glass Cleaner advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 07:55 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Glass Cleaner advice

This is not a TCH-specific question, but I figured some of you might have already found a good product.

I'm having a heck of a time getting that cloudy film off the interior of our windshields, as well as rear and side windows. We're not smokers, so it's not a smoke deposit film, rather just everyday stuff that settles out of the atmosphere or is released from other interior materials (plastics, fabrics, passengers).

I've tried every Windex permutation, and they all leave the windows full of streaks no matter how much or little is used, or how many paper towels are consumed. Armor All auto glass cleaner is no better.

Many years ago I used to use Bon Ami glass cleaner with good results, but this product is no longer available, at least in my area.

Any suggestions for a good automotive glass cleaner? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:12 AM
Too Smug
Default Re: Glass Cleaner advice

Originally Posted by pajasper
This is not a TCH-specific question, but I figured some of you might have already found a good product.

I'm having a heck of a time getting that cloudy film off the interior of our windshields, as well as rear and side windows. We're not smokers, so it's not a smoke deposit film, rather just everyday stuff that settles out of the atmosphere or is released from other interior materials (plastics, fabrics, passengers).

I've tried every Windex permutation, and they all leave the windows full of streaks no matter how much or little is used, or how many paper towels are consumed. Armor All auto glass cleaner is no better.

Many years ago I used to use Bon Ami glass cleaner with good results, but this product is no longer available, at least in my area.

Any suggestions for a good automotive glass cleaner? Thanks in advance.

Is it just me or does it seem as if a film forms very quickly over the interior of the windshields?

Last edited by Sallyspal; 10-13-2006 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:12 AM
Malcontent

Try a microfiber cloth with as pure water as possible (distilled, reverse osmosis, or even the condensation on the window).

Old 10-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Enthusiast

I found your Bon Ami glass cleanser on the internet

http://www.handyacehardware.com/prod...aspx?pid=95557

Old 10-13-2006, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast

I use a glass cleaner from the local auto parts store (Advanced Auto, in my case) that comes in a generic looking metal can that is foamy on spraying. When I had my new windshield installed recently the installer used a similar product to clean the install adhesive and other gunk off after installation. It works very well. New cars do give off a chemical that clings to interior glass (I think it has a lot to do with the 'new car smell') and likely isn't all that great for our health either. In addition to thorough cleaning I used Rainx brand anti-fog on the inside, which helps a little.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Based on a tip from the Internet, a friend of mine bought and started using an old-fashioned chalkboard eraser to clean smoky film off her windows. It works! You don't need water or cleaners...

Don't know where you can find a clean chalkboard eraser these days, but a Google search should take care of that in about a minute!

Old 10-13-2006, 09:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

I use a fresh, dry, soft chamois--no chemicals required...works like a champ. Has anyone else noticed it is hard to get the very bottom of the rear window cleaned?

Old 10-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

My son is an autobody man and he showed (proved) to me that the silliest thing will work wonders with auto-glass. It's what he was taught in detailing class.

Use Windex or any other ammonia based window cleaner to get the heavy stuff off.

Then mist the window lightly with Windex or even pure water and use the Black & White pages of a newspaper to wipe the glass down.

Absolutely no streaking and the glass literally disappears with clarity!

I know it sounds dumb - but it truly does work!

Old 10-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pajasper
Invisible Glass

Old 10-13-2006, 11:40 AM
it's just a car...

I bought this discounted at Sam's Club:

http://www.invisibleglass.com/

A light spray works well with a clean cloth, microfiber or newsprint.

Quick Reply: Glass Cleaner advice

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands