Going back to Original tires?

Old 06-17-2008, 02:54 PM
2007 Barcelona Red Camry
Unhappy Going back to Original tires?

Well I bought new cheaper tires not knowing I had to buy LRR to keep my mileage. Well after about 10 tank fulls my mileage has gone to craps. Before I was getting 37-38mpg overall and now we are getting more like 32mpg...Sometime it even goes down to 30.... Its just sickening... I am thinking about biting the bullet and just going out and buying the OEM's again and sell my new tires used. Is it worth it for piece of mind???

Ric

Old 06-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Going back to Original tires?

Originally Posted by joystix2
Well I bought new cheaper tires not knowing I had to buy LRR to keep my mileage. Well after about 10 tank fulls my mileage has gone to craps. Before I was getting 37-38mpg overall and now we are getting more like 32mpg...Sometime it even goes down to 30.... Its just sickening... I am thinking about biting the bullet and just going out and buying the OEM's again and sell my new tires used. Is it worth it for piece of mind???

Ric
I got the Yokohama 520's on my vehicle and did not notice a drop in MPG. At first I thought I did, but it may have been due to the unusually cold weather here in WA state. I normally averaged 36-38 mpg in the stock bridgestone's and continue to get 36-38 with the Yokohama's. I originally wanted the Falken 912's but Discount Tires offered me the Yokohama's at the same price and they had it in stock. Plus with their 30 day ride guarantee, they would have changed it out for free if I didn't like it.

Give that a try instead of getting the expensive OEM's. Go to:

http://tires-easy.com

Put in your tire size and preferred brand (if any). For example, the Falken ZIEX ZE-912 's cost $67.00 each. Then call discount tires/american tire and ask them how much they sell the same ones for. If more, (which it will be), ask them if they match online prices (which they do) and tell them about this site.

Good luck!

Old 06-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast

Ric,

You might have something else going on here. A quick search on the Web suggests that LRR tires might increase mileage something like 6% as compared to non-LRR tires. (And that may be a best case to worst case comparison.) Your difference is more like 15 - 20%. I'm guessing here, but it seems unlikely that just changing tire types could account for that great a difference.

Of course, if you were going from bald tires inflated to 45 psi to super-grip tires inflated to 25 psi, that would do it! ;^)

Perhaps someone with more precise numbers could jump in?

Bill

Old 06-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Has anyone tried the Cooper CS4 Touring tire? It is touted as a low rolling resistance tire.
COUPLED SILICA TREAD COMPOUND - The chemically coupled silica and carbon black compound allows for superior wet traction without sacrificing tread wear. An optimized polymer matrix allows the compound to remain pliable at lower temperatures while contributing to lower rolling resistance.