Is this a goog idea?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast
Default Is this a goog idea?

A good. friend Is selling his 2010 Camry Hybrid. Has 135,000 miles, 10 year battery warranty up 12/2019. I trust him but not sure about battery. Any suggestions or opinions? Many thanks.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is this a goog idea?

Originally Posted by Reba
A good. friend Is selling his 2010 Camry Hybrid. Has 135,000 miles, 10 year battery warranty up 12/2019. I trust him but not sure about battery. Any suggestions or opinions? Many thanks.
You would have complete confidence in the battery the sooner of the next 15,000 miles or 13 months. Outside of that, it's anybody's guess.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:24 PM

Warranty period does not imply expected life. It's just a marketing/finance decision the company created. Generally speaking, many Prius' (an older car) have easily cruised past that mileage/age. Caveat Emptor, but if you buy it at a good price, you can expect typical performance of any car of that age/mileage (irrespective of engine).

Old 09-06-2018, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by haroldo
Warranty period does not imply expected life. It's just a marketing/finance decision the company created. Generally speaking, many Prius' (an older car) have easily cruised past that mileage/age. Caveat Emptor, but if you buy it at a good price, you can expect typical performance of any car of that age/mileage (irrespective of engine).
I kindly disagree here: My TCH has 200k miles and over 12 years I owned it, I spend total of $80 to weld broken muffler pipe. I've never seen such reliable car among my friends, family members and cars I owned myself . Typically by 150k miles normal car would have transmission rebuild at least once, replaced master cylinder, starter, at least 3 x 12v battery etc.
Just make sure that particular car doesn't burn oil (some do) and is properly maintained. Just FYI, new inverter for TCH cost more than battery, same goes for break booster actuator, but they rarely break and you can get used one from junk car for much less.Same goes for battery: there is company that will replace battery in your driveway with rebuild used battery for less than $2k. Toyota Camry 4cyl and hybrid (but not 6 cylinder Camry) are rated as one of the most reliable cars on the market.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:55 PM

I've seen 2X Camry batteries fail at 124K and 132K miles, respectively. So, as I indicated, it's anybody's guess.

The reality is that hybrids represent risk and reward. An original owner of a new hybrid that drives it long term will experience a high ratio of benefit vs. risk. As a hybrid ages, this flips. This is true of any vehicle, but the hybrids are more complex with more failure points that tend to be expensive.

I've encountered scores of people who have owned their "new to them" hybrid for less than 6 months and have been hit with a very large maintenance expense (battery, ABS actuator, etc.) that nullified any benefit and represented a major burden.

Bottom line is that if you want cheap, reliable transportation, a high-mileage used hybrid is usually not the best choice.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:30 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
I've seen 2X Camry batteries fail at 124K and 132K miles, respectively. So, as I indicated, it's anybody's guess.

The reality is that hybrids represent risk and reward. An original owner of a new hybrid that drives it long term will experience a high ratio of benefit vs. risk. As a hybrid ages, this flips. This is true of any vehicle, but the hybrids are more complex with more failure points that tend to be expensive.

I've encountered scores of people who have owned their "new to them" hybrid for less than 6 months and have been hit with a very large maintenance expense (battery, ABS actuator, etc.) that nullified any benefit and represented a major burden.

Bottom line is that if you want cheap, reliable transportation, a high-mileage used hybrid is usually not the best choice.
Thanks for a well-reasoned analysis!