Got this in my sights

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Got this in my sights

Will wait until they come out of lease in 3 yrs and will buy one.

Most hybrids use two electric motors—one that provides propulsion and a separate, smaller unit that recharges the battery while braking. This second motor creates a couple of problems. Aside from adding complexity and weight to the whole system, it plays havoc with the vehicle's braking system. Instead of the nice progressive feel of a standard brake pedal, hybrid brakes tend to grab as the second motor kicks in to recharge the batteries.

To combat this issue, ****** did away with the second motor altogether, opting instead to position a single electric motor between the 3.5-liter V6 and seven-speed automatic transmission via a two-clutch system (similar to the system in the Volkswagen Touareg). One clutch separates the engine from the electric motor and the second makes up the gap between the motor and the transmission. This makes for a considerably smoother transition between all-electric, gasoline–electric and all-gasoline power. And it means that recharging the battery doesn't yield a twitchy brake pedal. The electric motor adds 67 hp and 199 lb-ft of torque, resulting in a theoretical grand total of 369 hp and 457 lb-ft of torque when combined with the 3.5-liter six.

This vehicle also averages 27/32 mpg, with 30 median. I can definitely live with that. Also, it's a five seater sedan, large enough for my 6'5'' frame.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Got this in my sights

Oh I was thinking Porsche Cayenne for a second...

Old 09-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

I like it too...very nice

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...rid-test-drive

62 mph e-mode, I can definitely live with that!

Old 09-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

jett, you cruel, I was trying to be nice to Toyota. MOF, I'll say something surprising. For what it is, TCH does not really have a better substitute in the market niche as of now. There's Hyundai Blue Drive, but who knows how that will go. Of course, there are fix or repair daily cars, but personally I'll stay away from that make.
So, it is a great car. But boy or boy, 360 ponies, 450 feet or hammering torque - and all that at 30MPG AVERAGE? n-i-c-e. Question will be to get one at a right price, ha-ha.
Well, got few friendly dealers, will get one off dealers auction. Should be right about when my TCH will reach close to 100 000 mark, so it's time to sell anyway.