GPS is screwy

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default GPS is screwy

Last weekend I drove to Myrtle Beach, SC. Used GPS to find the motel since I'd never been to that one before. At one time during the trip, the GPS said I had 60 miles to my destination and driving time would be over 2 hours. Thats about an average of 30 mph. Well, needless to say, it didn't take that long. Anybody have an idea that the time is off that much? Once I got within 10 miles of the motel, the time corrected itself. Frank

Old 10-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: GPS is screwy

Yeah, there are settings to set the normal speed on different types of roads...I'm not in front of the GPS right now, so I can't give you specifics on how to find it, but there are different settings for freeways, other roads and residential, if I rember correctly. Set these to your normal speeds on these types of roads and it will be closer to accurate.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:35 AM
Enthusiast
Angry Re: GPS is screwy

I find the TCH GPS to be nutty compared to the cheap Garmin that has always been right on the money with time to destination even when it's 2 hundred miles away. And no need to set any specific information for it to be right.

I have put in more reasonable times for different types of roads with the Toyota GPS but never tried the "defaults."

I would have thought that Toyota could have produced a more easily used GPS unit. At least one that my wife could use which is impossible for the Camry GPS. (However I'm not sure she'll ever catch on to how to start it with the pushbutton! She'd rather be using her Corolla.)

I DO like the fact that I can at least view it with my Polaroid sun glasses which is almost impossible with the Garmin.

There needs to be a "simple" switch/option to maintain only the bare essentials and then maybe (just maybe however) my wife could use it.

I also wish it'd have the ability to ONLY specify options for each destination. I couldn't figure out what it was doing yesterday morning when I was on the way to the airport in San Francisco and using it in case there was a traffic tie-up and need for a detour calculated. I figured it'd been a while since I'd been there and there was a lot of new construction when I last went there. It was CRAZY!!! Then after I got home I remembered that I'd shut off freeway use for a trip in town wanting to avoid the rush hour bumper-to-bumper and that it was an option that as far as I can find can see only be set for all destinations.

Anybody with some good hints???