Happy 5th Birthday

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:06 PM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Happy 5th Birthday

My TCH is 5 yrs old this month. Just sending it some birthday greetings

If I recall, it was within the first 3000 units built back in 2006. Other than regular maintenance and a bit of tweaking to get rid of a center console rattle, the only mechanical issue I experienced was a dragging rear brake pad a couple of years ago. Hopefully the next 5 years are equally uneventful. I'll probably be keeping it for quite a while longer. It's paid off, I've eaten a good chunk of the depreciation now, and I'm now reaping the benefits of it's efficiency, especially here where the gas is equivalent to $5 per US gal.

If anything, my next concern will be my 8 yr old Sienna, which sucks a lot more gas, but it continues to be very problem free and doesn't get used as much so I'll sit tight and see how things go. I have my eye on the Prius "v" as a possible replacement for it, but I have no incentive to rush to the first one to arrive like I did with my TCH.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Happy 5th Birthday

yep, there's Prius seven seater coming. i think, if you HAVE NO CHOICE but to have a people mover, it will be ok. Prii been worked out bugs wise for years. wouldn't expect a huge mpg out of it either, but will definitely be better than Sienna.

Happy B day to your girl.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

While the Prius V will be a 7 seater in some parts of the world, I've read (in Motor Trend) that it will be a 5 seater in the USA, not sure about Canada.

Congratulations on the 5 years! What a great car!

Old 06-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Mine is also 5 years old this month. Apart from 2 bad water pumps and a dash rattle, all since resolved, I still *love* this car. And my hand-calculated lifetime MPG in 49000 miles is 36.2. I'm sure it would be higher except my short daily commute takes a toll in winter (oftentimes only 32 or 33 MPG on my winter tanks.).

Love or not, though, I tend to trade in my cars around year 6, so I'm hoping there's something out there in the next year that I *really* want. Perhaps a plug-in TCH?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:44 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by jbollt
While the Prius V will be a 7 seater in some parts of the world, I've read (in Motor Trend) that it will be a 5 seater in the USA, not sure about Canada.

Congratulations on the 5 years! What a great car!
Yea, I'm expecting it to be a 5 seater, which is fine for me. I don't carry more than 5 people that often, but I do like the cargo space. I have never been concerned about the smaller trunk in the TCH because I always had the huge cargo space of the Sienna at my disposal. I even managed to stuff a 12ft kayak inside with rear lid closed one time (didn't have straps handy for the roof rack). From pics I've seen, the thing I saw that I didn't like about the v was the centered instrument panel. Never much liked those. Any maybe by the time I'm ready the PHEV Prius will be out. Smaller still, but I think they are neat and the range suits my typical drive. I even looked at the Lexus CT200h but too small and not interesting enough for it's price tag.