Happy with your Camry Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Happy with your Camry Hybrid?

1. Very

2. 40+ mpg City & Hwy right now.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:54 AM
Enthusiast

As posted earier, I average 38-39 MPG. I have tried every trick in the book and cannot understand how people get an AVERAGE of 40+ MPG consistently. Even playing all the hypermiling tricks I cannot average 40 MPG. Maybe there is something related to how they are tuned, I don't know but my TCH is not able to reach these figures.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Regztfen
As posted earier, I average 38-39 MPG. I have tried every trick in the book and cannot understand how people get an AVERAGE of 40+ MPG consistently. Even playing all the hypermiling tricks I cannot average 40 MPG. Maybe there is something related to how they are tuned, I don't know but my TCH is not able to reach these figures.
It REALY depends on your type of drives: length of trip, outside temperature (A/C or heat use) and terrain, as well as several other factors.

But this is a subject for another thread.

Last edited by jbollt; 08-26-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Regztfen
As they say in Real Estate: Location, Location, Location... I will never see those numbers due to the terrain and traffic I drive in... I also think some of the numbers being claimed are calculated using the "New, Improved, Modern Math"...

Only once I have I seen a +40MPG commute leg and that was at 0500 with virtually no traffic... Even so now I get double the mileage of what my pickup did, on the same commute, so I'm happy with my "low" average MPG...

Old 08-26-2008, 06:56 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

I've had this car for almost 2 years and 14k miles. It's really the first car that I've ever had that I didn't grow either tired or complacent with in the first 6 months.

Mileage is variable with short commutes / hills / higher speeds and Headwinds being the killer... That not withstanding, my typical city mileage is around 37-38 and highway is 35-36. When I'm really watching it and doing the pulse-glide number, I get a lot better. Current best tank is 44.2 MPG and I'm about 400 miles into this tank and currently at 44 MPG.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08FEH
I am looking for simple answers without long, drawn out responses thanks!

1) how happy are you with your Camry Hybrid purchase?

2) What real world mileage are you getting city?

Thanks!
Sean

(I'm about finished with waiting for an American car company to actually provide an American with their product)....
1. Extremely
2. See my sig (my MFD usualy says around 39.5 - 42, but the calculations on the tank are closer to what's posted in the database)

Old 08-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Enthusiast

1. Yes, happy with the car. IMO, there are better "driver's cars"; for example, the Camry isn't nearly as fun to drive or even quite as comfortable as our 2001 VW New Passat. (Although the Camry is the quietest car we've ever owned by a wide margin.) If the Camry were not a hybrid, we would not have bought it -- but it is, and that changes everything. Also, no problems whatsoever in 19,000 miles so far. And we expect maintenance costs to be really low, both because it's a Toyota but also because of hybrid factors: less wear on the brakes, no real transmission, etc.

2. Around 37 - 38 MPG averaged across seasons and all driving. (We are in suburban central Ohio, so have real winters and a mix of city and highway driving.)

Old 08-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies folks I appreciate your time.

I did end up with another FEH, but not exactly the way I would have liked to.

There is no doubt (never was any) that the Camry Hybrid is a quality vehicle and that it has many loyal owners.

Sean