Has anyone run their FOB thru the Washer & Dryer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 02:59 PM
it's just a car...
Default Has anyone run their FOB thru the Washer & Dryer?

Just wondering...

Old 12-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Has anyone run their FOB thru the Washer & Dryer?

Give me $400 and I will test it.!!

Old 12-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have not done a Hybrid Smart Key but have done older ones. I have never lost a piece of electronics subjected to too much water when following these steps:

1) Take unit apart.
2) Remove battery.
3) Clean thoroughly with cheap toothbrush and distilled water.
4) Use hair dryer at a good distance to dry the parts, leave them apart overnight.
5) Re-assemble unit with new battery.

Like I said, I have not done this with a smart start key, but this has worked on other electronics that have been severely doused, or even dropped, into a large body of water.

For $200, I will do this to mine and photograph the process!!

Regards,

Bigsk8r

Old 12-29-2006, 07:12 AM
Dazed and Confused

If we all give $5, I am sure we could get the $200 for the test. It would be interesting if the key could survive a water dunk.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:01 AM
it's just a car...

Thanks for the offers, but it won't be necessary.
Yesterday, I ran mine through the full washer and most of the dryer cycle until noticing the clanking.
I disassembled it to be sure there was no residual moisture.
Finding none, I re-assembled it and let it cool to room temperature.
While waiting for it to cool, I started this thread, seeking reassurance.
I'm happy to report it seems to be working perfectly...whew!

Old 12-29-2006, 08:23 AM
Veracitorian Muser

There is no reason a water dunk should hurt the FOB. Electronics are not generally harmed by water, but can be harmed by junk in water, and also by corrosive acids. The parts that are sensitive are unsealed switches and potentiometers and unsoldered contacts. The FOB has switches that could be harmed by dirt (in the water), but can easily be rinsed clean with water (and it does not need to be distilled, but if this happens a LOT, then the minerals in tap water may eventually be a concern). The battery contacts can corrode, but a simple rubbing with a pencil eraser (contacts and battery) after they get wet should keep them safe. The FOB has no pots or other exposed parts that would be hurt by water.

If a piece of electronics gets wet where it isn't supposed to, just unplug or remove all batteries, rinse throughly (even if the original water exposure was clean water, it may have moved internal dirt and dust to places it should not be). If all surfaces are not easily accessible, disassembly and/or forced air blowing may be useful.

Your concern is dirt in switches and pots and on contacts, and rust/corrosion of all metal. Dirt can cause shorting (or just lowered resistance) across leads, and corrosion can cause leads to separate (electrically). Cleaning and drying are the best repair 99% of the time.

Most low voltage electronics will operate fine under water! Clean water is not conductive. However, the RF signals sent and received by the FOB probably will not penetrate very deep water well! These are high frequencies that are attenuated by water.

-- Alan

Old 12-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vioarc
Thanks for the offers, but it won't be necessary.
Yesterday, I ran mine through the full washer and most of the dryer cycle until noticing the clanking.
I disassembled it to be sure there was no residual moisture.
Finding none, I re-assembled it and let it cool to room temperature.
While waiting for it to cool, I started this thread, seeking reassurance.
I'm happy to report it seems to be working perfectly...whew!
Is your fob now snuggle-soft, mountain fresh, and static-cling-free?

Seriously, glad it's working. Be sure to post back to this thread should the situation ever change!

Old 08-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast

I registered with this site just to share this.

I recently accidentally washed AND DRIED my electronic key to my father's camry hybrid. I discovered it piece by piece in my clothes the next day (it sat in the dryer all night). Battery, circuit board, case and physical key were all separate. I pieced it back together, walked out into my driveway, closed my eyes and pressed the unlock button. *Beep Beep*. Phew!!! The car also starts fine (and thankfully my dad has a spare, as I don't quite think this one will last too long!)

Thought I'd share with folks. Resilient pieces of technology huh?

Old 08-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mine has been run thru the washer twice but has not made it to the dryer yet. Both times I found it in the bottom of the washing machine. All I did was take it apart, blow it dry and let it sit open without a battery until I came home that night. Both of those washings did not seem to hurt it a bit.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Surprised not to see this bit of advise. Placing a "dunked" electronic item in a plastic bag filled with rice, then closed, will help dry it out. Leave it in there for a day or so. Did this with my son's cell phone amd it was good as new. The rice absorbs the moisture.

Quick Reply: Has anyone run their FOB thru the Washer & Dryer?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands