HD radio for TCH?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Question HD radio for TCH?

Does anyone know if HD radio can be added to the TCH and is it worth the trouble? I would like to keep the dash as normal as possible to the factory setup.

I've heard about HD but don't really know anything about HD. I have a non-Nav TCH.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HD radio for TCH?

Originally Posted by UWAdventurer
Does anyone know if HD radio can be added to the TCH and is it worth the trouble? I would like to keep the dash as normal as possible to the factory setup.

I've heard about HD but don't really know anything about HD. I have a non-Nav TCH.
You realize what HD-radio is, right? For anyone that doesn't, it is CD-quality sound over FM broadcast. Before you do anything, you should find out if your favorite FM radio stations are even broadcasting in HD yet. There are very few stations doing this outside of the major metro-cities. Lastly, HD-radio is not the same as RDS, which the factory NAV system is capable of displaying but the non-NAV JBL is not.

There is currently no OEM or aftermarket plug-in for the factory JBL system (that I know of) to accept HD radio signal.

You can always install any aftermarket headunit you want, including any HD-capable head unit. You just have to buy the Scosche adaptor for the JBL amplifier. You would also have to purchase the steering wheel controller if available. And you would lose the use of your steering wheel Bluetooth controls.

Last edited by flopshot; 07-24-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Flopshot. No I didn't really know what HD was.

I'm sure the wife would not appreciate losing the Bluetooth, steering controls, etc. I'm sure that would put me in the doghouse!

Thanks for your expertise.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Professional Hacker

Actually... I don't want to step on any toes, but there is an HD Radio option.
If you have a NAV system, you can use these two devices...

Peripheral Media Gateway
Peripheral HD Radio Tuner

One will add an iPod interface, as well as a second port for HD Radio. The other is the actual HD Radio tuner.

This conflicts with Sirius and XM tuners, as they use the SAT input and controls to operate the HD Tuner and the ipod

Old 07-25-2008, 04:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Intrus

Peripheral Media Gateway

One will add an iPod interface, as well as a second port for HD Radio. The other is the actual HD Radio tuner.

This conflicts with Sirius and XM tuners, as they use the SAT input and controls to operate the HD Tuner and the ipod
Actually if you dig farther down into the wiring adapter you'll find this:

Installation Details for your 2007 Camry Hybrid
» Adapter plugs into the factory radio.
» Factory radio must not be Pioneer Premium with multi-color display.
» If you have the factory satellite radio option, it will no longer work with this adapter.
» The Crutchfield MasterSheet, if available, does not cover OEM integration.
» The factory radio must have an "AM/SAT" button.
» Vehicle must NOT have the factory navigation system.

So I would have to say that it works only if you have the non-Nav system.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Professional Hacker

From the manufacture Page:

# Toyota/Lexus/Scion:

* Overall Toyota/Lexus/Scion compatibility notes:
o Radio must be equipped with a button labeled "AM/SAT” on the face of the radio to be compatible
o Not compatible in Lexus vehicles equipped with a factory navigation style radio with factory satellite installed. The satellite receiver will have to be disconnected at the satellite tuner location in order for the PXAMG to work correctly
o Radios with a diversity antenna will need to make a small modification to the OEM radios main power harness in order for the HD tuner to work correctly. Please refer to included tech brief with inside the PGHTY1 harness packaging. Diversity antenna systems are identifiable by having two antenna connections to the OEM radio.
o Not compatible in Scion vehicles with the OEM option Pioneer radios with OEL display
* Vehicle specific Toyota/Lexus/Scion compatibility notes:
o Not compatible in the Toyota Prius with factory satellite installed. The satellite receiver will have to be disconnected at the satellite tuner location in order for the PXAMG to work correctly.
o Not compatible in the 2009 Corolla with radios that have an “XM” logo printed on the face of the radio. These radios have an internal satellite tuner and are not compatible; All other radios without the logo and have an AM/SAT button are compatible.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:22 AM
SPL

One thing that HD (digital) radio most certainly is not is "CD-quality sound over FM broadcast." It's not possible to achieve CD-quality sound in such a narrow transmission bandwidth. This is on a par with advertising heavily-compressed MP3 files or satellite radio as being "CD-quality," or upconverted DVD movies as being "almost HD quality."

Stan

Old 07-25-2008, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Intrus

Peripheral Media Gateway

I guess I was answering about direct plug-in HD modules. If you are willing to install a gateway device, then that opens up a whole world of possibilities. You can even find a gateway device that allows you to play an external video signal (like videos or Playstation) on the factory NAV screen. But as you posted in your last line, most of the available gateways act as an external CD changer / Satellite radio tuner, so you will lose those options.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:30 PM
HAPPY TCH OWNER

Originally Posted by flopshot
You realize what HD-radio is, right? For anyone that doesn't, it is CD-quality sound over FM broadcast. Before you do anything, you should find out if your favorite FM radio stations are even broadcasting in HD yet. There are very few stations doing this outside of the major metro-cities. Lastly, HD-radio is not the same as RDS, which the factory NAV system is capable of displaying but the non-NAV JBL is not.

There is currently no OEM or aftermarket plug-in for the factory JBL system (that I know of) to accept HD radio signal.

You can always install any aftermarket headunit you want, including any HD-capable head unit. You just have to buy the Scosche adaptor for the JBL amplifier. You would also have to purchase the steering wheel controller if available. And you would lose the use of your steering wheel Bluetooth controls.
Actually this is a misconception. It is NOT high quality or CD quality radio. In HD radio the "HD" stands for "Hybrid Digital" not High Definition like in TV. They use the analog signal and piggyback additional channels (digital but not CD quality) for more programming but unfortunately not higher quality. Buy an IPOD or go XM.