Headlight assembly melted?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Headlight assembly melted?

Ronald, Are you buying OEM or aftermarket? If OEM, your chances would be better but aftermarket tends to be off just a bit. Either way, they should be checked as a VERY small misalignment at the headlight can mean a BIG difference 200 feet away.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had to replace a headlight assembly, among other things (don't ask...just don't ask) I was able to go to a local supplier for the parts. They supply the parts for body shops and dealerships. I was able to get a hood for my pickup there a few years ago for 2/3 of what I could get it for online..before shipping.

They had all the parts I needed for a surprisingly low price, the same things as a dealer would put on.The business is called Keystone Automotive, and they have outlets all over. You might be able to find one close to you. They have 3 quality levels for some parts, but go with the best ones, the price difference wasn't worth the risk for what I needed at the time. I'd discovered them during my "day job", and remembered them when I needed their services. Got the parts wholesale, and saved a serious chunk of change.

Good luck,
Scott

Last edited by RadioTek; 01-13-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:31 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Well, I replaced both headlight assemblies. Turned on the lights to adjust the beams and the drivers side melted in about 10 minutes. I am wondering if I have a ground problem? I have some new Sylvania/Osram H11 bulbs coming as well as another headlight assembly. Can I add another ground somehow? This is very frustrating.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

I can only think of a few possible causes. Your basic issue is too much heat. Wrong bulb -- too high wattage? Your voltage is too high. Should be no more than around 14.7 volts when the car is running. This seems unlikely though. Or last, the bulb is not being fitted properly in the reflector. I don't know how these things are cooled, but is there anything that could be restricting cooling.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:37 AM

I wonder if the new bulbs I installed were marked wrong, that is why I have new bulbs coming. They said they were H11, 55 watt??? They were installed correctly because I installed them before I installed the headlight assembly. I think it is either a wiring problem or a bulb problem. I hate to replace the headlight wiring connector if I don't have to. It was fastened/locked to the bulb. I assume these are just air cooled, I don't see anything that would inhibit this. We were also outside and it was very cold.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've seen ground problems cause some weird troubles, so wouldn't rule that out. Going through the connections would not be a bad idea. Usually, grounds for the headlights are done with a screw or bolt into the frame nearby. If a wire or connector has gotten damaged, or is not screwed down completely, there could be a cause for the trouble. If one ground point for one of the lights is bad, then all the current for both lights could be going to ground at the other, causing some heating, but that's just a wild guess from far away.

Wiring fails most often at the connection points, then the devices, then the wires themselves.
1)The connectors. Could have been poorly crimped, the ground lug improperly tightened (too little- it works loose, too much-the bolt/screw breaks off). There may be corrosion at the connection point or in the connector. The connection between the conductorneeds to be tight and clean.
2) The device itself. The bulb burnt out or wrong, the radio shorted out and blew a fuse, the wiper motor seal fails and water gets into the windings and corrosion ensues, to give examples.
3) The wire itself. A pinch could damage insulation, letting moisture in to corrode the conductor. Wire routed over a sharp edge could wear away insulation causing a short. An excessive current draw could melt the insulation off wires. Wiring run too close to a heat source like an exhaust pipe or manifold could have the insulation cooked into brittleness or melted off.

These are just suggestions of things that could go wrong, no more than guesses from over the 'net, to give you an idea of something to look for. There may be something else entirely that is causing the problem, but while looking for things like tese, you may find the real problem.

Good luck, and happy troubleshooting.
Scott

Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

If it is a short you should find some melted wire and/or electrical connectors.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have access to a low current AC/DC clamp on amp meter? That is the best way to see if your headlights are drawing too much current (high amp draw). I don't think the voltage will be too high but the bulbs could be drawing too much current which will cause an overheat situation.

Also check to make sure your reflector is DOT approved as there are several cheap knock-offs out there that will not take the heat put out by the correct size bulb.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:22 PM

The reflectors are DOT approved.

Any idea what the correct amp draw should be? Thanks again for the help guys!

Old 01-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

55 watt bulb at 12 volts would be 4.5 amps but it might pull up to 5. The harness has at least a 15 amp fuse which will allow a lot mote than 5 amps to the bulb.

Quick Reply: Headlight assembly melted?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands